Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

We replaced a steam boiler for a freelance photographer.

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    edited August 2012
    pictures

Well, while his pictures in a way look better they do not show the piping as yours do.

His look better, but yours show more. :)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Tripod & ambient light.

It's the way to go when your subject isn't going anywhere.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    I do not know fore sure which is which.

But I guess the light ones are yours and the dark ones are the freelance.

From an artistic standpoint, the light ones must be yours. Freelance would have removed the bucket and avoided the glare from the flash reflection. Also, that one is from too far away as there is extraneous detail all around. He (or she) might have done the second as the piping of the header was somewhat interesting.

So that is why I guessed the dark ones were the freelance. But then I cannot explain why they are too dark. Also, the freelance kept the camera horizontal, so the vertical lines do not converge.

So it is really difficult to tell who took which.
  • ChrisJ
    too dark

I'm guessing they are not actually too dark and this is what the boiler looks like if you go and look at it in its "natural surroundings".
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Too dark.

Too dark is an artistic comment, not a technical one. Technically, the "dark" images may exactly reflect what was there. It just does not convey the information I would like to see. It is a matter of artistic taste, but I would not think a professional photographer would settle for it the way it is. But That is just me, and no one need agree with me. 
  • Jells
    Jells Member Posts: 566
    Someone needs to learn to use "levels"

Both image sets desperately needed some level correction. Dark no more, and the I got rid of the blue caste.  "Levels" in photoshop or GIMP.

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Pictures

Thanks, Jon!

Just goes to show that I do not have an eye for photo quality.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    The difference is white balance.

One is a more accurate tonal representation of the scene, the other is affected by the color of the light.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • ChrisJ
    Na

I think my version looks better. :)
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Test

I'm going to bring my wife's good camera on the next install to experiment with photos. I think the trick to a good looking picture is definitely in the post-editing.
  • JohnNY
    Trust me.

It's the white balance setting on the camera. Most "auto" settings are not very good. You have to go in and set it for the type of light you're using.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • ChrisJ
    Flash?

Johnny, it looks like you used a flash in that picture, which if that is the case the AWB works good.

I think that is the ONLY time it works good though.
  • JohnNY
    If I remember correctly,

it was just a couple of incandescent bulbs behind me. You may be right, though. Anyway, reading color temperature is critical in digital photography. Compare these:
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    Uncoiler?

Please tell me that poor guy didn't have to uncoil all that by hand.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • JohnNY
    Hahaha

Yes, I assure you we have all the toys.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
This discussion has been closed.