Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Utah DEQ proposed a BAN on Outdoor Wood Fired Boilers

Options
Gerry Alder
Gerry Alder Member Posts: 25
R307-208 The Utah DEQ has proposed a regulation that will prohibit (BAN) all new Outdoor Wood Boilers from being sold and installed in Utah. It also imposes unreasonable registration and opacity requirements for existing OWBs .

Oh this is quite upsetting, I don't own an Outdoor Wood Boiler and I don't have an unlimited supply of wood. Hey I do want my freedoms ! I would like to sell and Install these and perhaps choose to get an OWB for fun of it. Mostly I want my Freedom to choose!

The folks that typically own an OutDoor Wood Boiler are some of the happiest people I know because they have all the heat and hotwater they could ever want at a substantial savings on fuel. They take pride and joy in how they burn so not smoke , and neighbors or passers by wont notice that the OWB is even being used.

August 31st 2012 is the deadline for public comment.
ENJOY YOUR HEAT AND HOT WATER.

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    ALL owb,s?

Including gasifiers?

If yes, sounds like a typical environmental knee jerk reaction....

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Gerry Alder
    Options

Yup including gasifiers they don't define a gasifier as anything different . Anybody that does their homework are usually going to buy a gasifier for clean efficient burn.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Options
    I thought our Federal entities had already outlawed smokers...

But then again, its been 5 years since I looked at a wood boiler.

Didn't the Feds basically outlaw the production of anything but gasifiers?

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Gerry Alder
    Options

That is one of the viable arguments . There is already a stringent EPA program in place. The EPA states that the new Phase 2 Qualified appliances are 90% cleaner than older conventional models.

The Utah DEQ has given little consideration to the newest state of art OWB's. Instead only an outright BAN on all OWB's is being pursued.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Options
    Stand your ground...

ANd good luck with your battle. Maybe you should hook up with one of the Hearth and Home web sites and see if you can get some backing for your battle.

I think I also remember some precedent setting laws coming from places like New Hampshire and or Maine. Might look to them for guidance.

ME
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    including gasifiers

Is preposterous.  EPA Stage II regs are quite well thought out and will keep the bad actors out of the game.

From the proposed rule http://www.airquality.utah.gov/Public-Interest/Public-Commen-Hearings/pdf-files/July-2012/July_18/r307-208.pdf

"Outdoor wood boiler" means a fuel burning device also knownas a wood-fired hydronic heater:

(1) Designed to burn wood or other approved solid fuels;

(2) Specified by the manufacturer for outdoor installation or installation in structures not normally occupied by humans; and

(3) Designated to heat building space or water via the distribution, typically through pipes, of a fluid heated in the device,typically water or a mixture of water and antifreeze.

#2 looks almost like they trying to include Garn, who does not market or classify their boilers as "outdoor" given the installation requirements.

The rule is open for comment until August 31st.  Existing comments look good, though the HPBA letter seems to be seeking approval of pretty much everything, as long as the stack is high enough http://www.airquality.utah.gov/Public-Interest/Public-Commen-Hearings/pdf-files/august2012/PublicComments08202012.pdf
This discussion has been closed.