Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Corrosion and Warranties

still pondering pulling the trigger on a Burnham IN4 power vent model, (due to my exhaust situation) but i'm a little apprehensive when i see lots of pics of steam atmospherics corroding within a few years.

-

In Burnham's warranty, (of which they have a class action lawsuit apparently) it says the following:<span><span>

Oxygen contamination of boiler water will cause corrosion of iron and steel boiler components, and can lead to boiler failure<strong>. U.S. Boiler Company’s Standard Warranty does not cover problems caused by oxygen contamination of boiler water or scale (lime) build-up caused by frequent addition of water.</strong>

<strong>-</strong>

aren't all boiler leaks caused by corrosion?  I don't see any other reason a boiler would fail.  Even with a make-up water meter device, i could see them not honoring warranties due to the above statement.

-

Thoughts?</span></span>
beautiful Conshohocken PA

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    The failed boilers I see

are always piped wrong. My opinion is the hyperactive waterline is to blame more than anything else.  
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Pulling the trigger

Are you having problems with your present boiler, which warrants a replacement?

How old is your present setup?

My guess is, if the new boiler has been properly sized and installed, and is maintained properly during it's life-span; it will last for 25 to 40 years.

Boilers whose sections have cracked or corroded, have been operating under very adverse conditions brought about by-

Short-cycling due to poor main venting

Thermal shock due to constant makeup water addition

Excessive oxygen from unattended steam leaks , and constant make-up feed-water

Dirty burners, providing uneven heat to the sections.

Dry-firing due to lack of LWCO maintainence.

There is only so much the manufacturer can do after the boiler leaves the foundry. --NBC
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Another cause of leaks

Don't forget near-boiler piping, e.g. risers connected to a header without swing-arms.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • TomM
    TomM Posts: 233
    -

you may be onto something charlie with your thoughts that the corrosion problems are caused by improper installation and surging water lines.  Most pics of rotted atmospherics have the leak near the riser takeoffs.  Well, most i see have the leak at the top of the boiler sections, probably because that's the part that's not cooled by the steaming water (one of steamhead's theories)

-

Anyway, my point is that if you have a leaking boiler due to corrosion, if the manufacturer has a warranty that states that Standard Warranty does not cover problems caused by

oxygen contamination of boiler water or scale (lime) build-up caused by

frequent addition of water, then you could never 'prove' that they had a faulty cheap thin 'made in china' casting that rusts too easily.

-

they wouldn't honor the warranty, they could just say your water is too hard, or you added too much make-up water.

-

i think i'd rather pay an extra $1000 for a 750lb mega casting than have to worry that my boiler is going to rust out in 5-10 years.

-

unless you used 100% distilled makeup water.   :-)
    beautiful Conshohocken PA
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    why not just pipe it right and size it right?

I also am very pro auto feeds with meters as a way to document fresh water input.

The boilers I use have USA cast sections. They still fail if installed poorly on leaky systems.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.