Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Unknown baseboard brand - Btu rule of thumb?

28W
28W Member Posts: 141
Copper-tube alum fin baseboard. No idea what brand, but the room it is in is at least 30 years old. Would Btu tables from some of the vintage Slant Fin baseboard be a decent approximation?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    ???

What is the height of the base board? If it's 7", then you can assume an honest output of about 500 btu's per lineal foot of element @ 170* average water temp. If it's in reasonably good condition and the fins are clean.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • 28W
    edited August 2012
    Reply to Ironman

The website wouldn't let me reply directly to your post . . .

Anyway, to answer your question, the baseboard housings are 7" tall. The fins inside are 5" tall. Everything is in good shape and clean. Hardwood floor underneath.

I'm interested in Btu output at below 170 also; is there a conversion factor?
  • R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    Most Manufacturers

Post a chart with water temperature versus BTU output. Contrary to popular belief baseboard will still work at lower water temperatures, but at a reduced output.

http://www.slantfin.com/images/stories/Product-Literature/catalogsheet_fineline30_30_10.pdf
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Seriously???

7" tall fin section? Are there 2 pipes or one running through the fins? How many fins per inch? What size of tube going through them?

Believe it or not, 1/2" shows a higher output than 3/4" at certain temperatures. It has to do with fluid turbulence (Reynolds numbers).

If it is in fact truly 7" tall fin section, the output is more than 500 per foot.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Ironman
    7" Fin Section

I've never seen a 7" fin section.

I was referring to the height of the enclosure. :)
    Bob Boan
  • 28W
    As I said above

the housings are 7" tall.  The fins inside are 5" tall. 
  • 28W
    I found a Slant Fin table

for one of their baseboard models that puts out 500 Btu at 160 degrees.  I'm thinking I'll use that table - it provides output numbers all the way down to 110 degrees.
  • 28W
    I found a Slant Fin table

for one of their baseboard models that puts out 500 Btu at 160 degrees.  I'm thinking I'll use that table - it provides output numbers all the way down to 110 degrees.
  • Mark Eatherton
    I need a reading comprehension course....;-)

But still, even at 5" tall fin tube section, I've not seen that in a residential setting. The norm is more like 2.5" tall.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • 28W
    I will measure again

But it sure looked like 5" on the tape.  They are old units.
  • Mark Eatherton
    How many pipes going through the fins?

One or two? If two, the output will be more than the 500 btuH/LF.

ME
  • 28W
    Pretty sure it is one pipe

But I will check.  Thanks.
  • Ironman
    Pipe Size?

What is the tube size in the element?
    Bob Boan
This discussion has been closed.