Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Utah to outlaw standing pilots

Bob Harper
Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,034
The State of Utah's air quality agency has announced plans to outlaw standing pilots in an effort to reduce NOx emissions. This is just another example of the government hurting industry and business. This will affect fireplaces, water heaters, pool heaters and virtually anything with a std. pilot. They are also planning on asking the public to voluntarily to shut off pilots when not in use. This will undoubtedly result in an increase in service calls. Techs will have to choose between stocking more OEM parts versus resorting to universal TCs and pilots that can affect the dropout rate, cause delayed igntions and explosions and void the warranty and listing of the appliance.

There are other examples of our gov't regulating certain 'low hanging fruit' out of existence so this is but one example but it is a movement that is gaining and coming to you soon.

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    9/1/2012

No boiler sold in the USA will have a standing pilot after next month,i can't think of a furnace that has had a pilot ignition in years.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Clarification

Just wanted to clarify on Bob's post. Effective Sept 1 standing pilot boilers can no longer be manufactured. They can still be sold and installed. By the end of the year they will be hard to come by though..
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,230
    do pilots make NOX ?

I didn't know that. I thought only very high temperatures did so.
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    STANDING PILOT

I stopped installing standing pilot boilers few years ago.
This discussion has been closed.