Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cleaning Radiator

Options
Stass
Stass Member Posts: 2
I recently had the heating system changed over from oil to natural gas.  It is a forced hot air system and i noticed that once it was converted the radiators do not heat up full any longer.  They heat up on the top portion but the bottom stays cold and when they were heating with a oil system the entire radiator heated up.

My question is it simply a case of crud built up that need to be cleaned out and if so how do i clean them out?

Thanks

Anthony

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    CONFUSING.

You have a forced hot air system and the radiators heat up only at the top?

If I ignore that you said forced hot air, I still do not know if you have forced hot water, or steam. It might be perfectly all right that a radiator does not heat up all the way across, or does not heat from top to bottom, especially in warmer weather. The new boiler (if it is a boiler) may have a reset capability and supplies only enough heat to make up for the actual heat loss on any given day. Controls on a steam system (including the vents) can give similar effects.
  • Stass
    Stass Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Cleaning Radiator

it is a steam system but the part that confuses me is that the radiators used to heat all the way through until we switched to natural gas heat and now they only heat up on the top ( and i mean the bottom is ice cold) and they don't seem to heat up the room as nicely either.  See the attached photo to see what kind of radiator i have.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Question

Is it a 1-pipe or 2-pipe sytem? Also, need to know information about the conversion. What did the company that did the conversion say when you told them?
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,968
    Options
    pics pics pics

Post some pictures of boiler and connected radiators. You are on the right site!! The info you will get here is priceless.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,968
    Options
    Details

Was the entire boiler replaced or just the burner(that's the funny looking contraption on the bottom front of the boiler)?
This discussion has been closed.