Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Electric water conditioner.

Options
Harvey Ramer
Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
I have a bathroom out in my garage that doesn't get used much. It used to be that the water in the toilet would get a film over the top if it was not flushed for a long time. I put an electric water conditioner in early this year and that problem disappeared. Now my question is, would this device have enough zapping power to acheive similiar results in an underground cistern that is used for domestic water. Cisterns can get pretty nasty.

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    You'd have to circulate...

Just having the conditioner installed on the incoming line is not adequate. These devices do have a finite expectancy to the treatment. If you were to circulate between the conditioner, and the cistern, and keep that water moving, then the water would be "conditioned".

But remember that they do nothing to the potability of the water. Won't make it better, but won't make it worse. You'd have t go to an ultraviolet conditioner to cover that, and then you will get other "issues" you hadn't expected (thinking growth of flora and fauna in the water due to the presence of UV light).

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Options
    makes sense.

I suppose if the UV light were not placed in the circulated circuit but rather after the pressure tank it would probably avoid those issues. The water going into the cistern would be potable.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Options
    makes sense.

I suppose if the UV light were not placed in the circulated circuit but rather after the pressure tank it would probably avoid those issues. The water going into the cistern would be potable.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,246
    Options
    aeration

have you considered aerating or perhaps even ozonating cistern ?
  • Harvey Ramer
    Options
    You will have to explain.

Water conditioning is something i know little about.
This discussion has been closed.