Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bosch Greenstar....

kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
combi or other wise.... Anyone used one yet? The Alum/ silicone block is supposed to be a big step up on the plus side. i just don't want to tell folks something is great and have issues

Comments

• kcopp
    Well since ...

no one has replied I am presuming that no one has used one yet.....

I am going to give the 100k Combi a shot and I will let you know how it goes.

Cheers!
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Aluminum Blocks:

I wouldn't use an aluminum boiler block if you payed me to do it.

The residue is what they use to make sandpaper. Aluminum Oxide. Also known as aluminum rust dust.
  • kcopp
    I hear you....

from what I understand they have changed the block composition (AL-silicon)  to allow better resistance to the acidic condensate.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    metallurgy

It really helps to understand basic chemistry, at least a *little* bit.

Aluminum's status as a tremendously important and useful industrial material does not justify its use in corrosive environments.
  • Roland_18
    Roland_18 Member Posts: 147
    rAy boiler.....

I have heard much concern expressed about aluminum  heat exchangers not holding up under less than perfect water conditions.

What became of the rAy, cast iron mod-con? It was supposed to be the best thing since pizza and beer.

Roland............
  • kcopp
    The Ray....

is still out there Peerless also picked it up in their version and colors. The control is pretty good and after a few bugs pretty trouble free. The downside of it is that it is very heavy. I guess the other side is that the afue is just under 93%.... customers see that compared to 96% and opt not to use it.
  • Bart Vaio
    Bart Vaio Member Posts: 56
    Triangle Tube Challenger

The TT Challenger uses an Aluminum block with a copper core, the combi boiler is a well known european model made by Intertherm.
  • kcopp
    I know about.....

the TT challenger combi. I also know that the hot water output is subpar.
  • kcopp
    a follow up.....

I installed a Greenstar 100 combi for a customer last month. So far it is working very well. Its a 1 bath home/ apt and the hot water out out is great. The install was pretty clean. The bracket they give you allows to to do all your piping first then put the boiler on the wall. Conversion to LP is a mater of a chip change and then do your combustion check out. 

I have had some concerns about the aluminum block but am starting to change my thoughts....They actually tell you to not do a tear-down and clean for 5 years. The FW200 control has a bit of a learning curve but allows you to do a ton of things.
This discussion has been closed.