Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

phase 3 recirc and mixing valve

mikedo
mikedo Member Posts: 174
i want to put a mixing valve on a phase 3 thats overheating on shutdown water is getting to 150 plus. my problem is with water constantly being pulled threw the mixing valve for recirc the temp keeps rising so they still get very hot water until the mixing valve starts to work anyway to avoid this. thanks

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    edited June 2012
    What

temperature is the indirect set for? A mixing valve on a closed recirc can't add any cold water to the loop.Trying to run the indirect high, then "temper" the recirc?
  • mikedo
    recirc

i realized after i posted it was in the wrong section but don't know how to move it. the tank is set for 125 but the tank design is tank in tank and when the tank gets to 125 it overshoots because the 190 keeps transferring heat. so i need to know how to pipe in the mixing valve with the recirc line on it. im not sure how i would temper the recirc line
  • Paul48
    Either

make the recirc temperature dependant (clip-on aquastat, or similar), and install mixing on hot out of indirect,or use multiple mixing valves to point-of-use.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    tank temp

Should be 140F anyway, to prevent legionella.  Not sure what kind of boiler you have, but it is best to replace the aquastat with a temperature probe if the boiler supports it.  That way the boiler can throttle back as the tank approaches the setpoint instead of overshooting.

Symmons, Powers, etc. all have detailed piping diagrams showing how to properly pipe their valves with recirculation pumps.
  • Paul48
    About

6 months ago, I came across a diagram from Watts, showing how to plumb their mixing valve in a recirc.There was a lively discussion on another forum, as to whether it would work in a situation like this. The answer from Watts was.."no".
  • mikedo
    recirc

theres got to be a way to pipe this and have it work. i was guessing at 125 there are no numbers on the control. 140 is pretty hot that would burn you quick without a mixing valve
  • mikedo
    recirc

theres got to be a way to pipe this and have it work. i was guessing at 125 there are no numbers on the control. 140 is pretty hot that would burn you quick without a mixing valve
This discussion has been closed.