Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

main vents vs electrical outlet and romex

ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
I'm running a new 20A 120V circuit for an air conditioner and have to run the romex near 3 of my main vents.  I also need to put in a junction box which I'm probably going to put an outlet in as I could use one occasionally in the crawlspace.

So my question is, are there any code requirments when it comes to running romex or installing an electrical outlet near steam vents?  The romex is around 6-10 inches from the vents and the outlet will be about a foot from them.  I was also planning on installing a GFI there as it just seems like a good idea as it is in a damp location.  The current vents are  3 Gorton 1s and are aimed away from the romex and outlet and both romex and outlet are to be nailed to floor joists overhead which are around the same elevation as the vents.

It appears romex insulation is rated to around 90C which is lower than the temperature of steam.
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Vents vs wire

i have no idea if there are code regulations about this.

The air vents may release a tiny amount of steam but i can't see how a wire that is 6-10 inches from it could possibly be impacted by that placement. The temperature rating is meant to be steady state and you will not see that, especially if those pipes are insulated.

I would place the GFCI outlet in a outdoor rated box, with a cover to stop condensation from causing nuisance tripping.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Romex and steam

I'm not sure what the codes are but I would suggest sleeving the romex in CPVC conduit and using a receptacle rated for outdoor use (gasketed with spring covers). Once again, I don't know your codes but I have seen rodents chew off romex insulation. Just a suggestion

Rob
  • ROMEXCABLEFAN
    ROMEXCABLEFAN Member Posts: 1
    ROMEXCABLEFAN

Romex® NM-B cable is designed for dry locations only. UF-B cable should be used in a damp or wet location. Spacing should be maintained between the cable and any part of the heating/cooling apparatus.

ROMEX® is a registered trademark of Southwire Company. 

This communication is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute advice.  As all the facts and circumstances in any given situation may not be apparent, this communication is not intended to be, and should not be, relied upon by the reader in making decisions with respect to the issues discussed herein, and the reader assumes the risk if he or she chooses to do so. The reader is encouraged to consult an expert before making any decisions or taking any action concerning the matters in this communication. All warranties, express or implied, including warranties regarding accuracy, adequacy, completeness, legality, reliability, safety or usefulness of any information, ARE DISCLAIMED.  Southwire Company is not liable for any damages however caused and on any theory of liability arising in any way out of the information provided or the reader's use of it.

This communication is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute advice.  As all the facts and circumstances in any given situation may not be apparent, this communication is not intended to be, and should not be, relied upon by the reader in making decisions with respect to the issues discussed herein, and the reader assumes the risk if he or she chooses to do so. The reader is encouraged to consult an expert before making any decisions or taking any action concerning the matters in this communication. All warranties, express or implied, including warranties regarding accuracy, adequacy, completeness, legality, reliability, safety or usefulness of any information, ARE DISCLAIMED.  Southwire Company is not liable for any damages however caused and on any theory of liability arising in any way out of the information provided or the reader's use of it.
This discussion has been closed.