Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Soda Blasting radiators

Options
pdonnelly
pdonnelly Member Posts: 1
We bought an old house this year with a steam system.  We're currently refinishing 3 rooms that all have radiators painted umpteen times.  I was considering buying a soda blaster (rather than a sand blaster) because I could use it on other projects around the house.  Does anyone have an experience with using a soda blaster in stripping a radiator....it seems like it should work, but just wondering if anyone had any success with this process.  

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Seal the openings...

I'm thinking that as long as you seal the opening to the radiators you should be fine. Baking soda should be fairly benign, but no sense in taking any chances.

I have to admit, until you asked the question, I didn't know that soda blasting existed, or what it even was.. THanks for making me look :-)

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • JeffM
    JeffM Member Posts: 182
    Options
    lead paint

I asked some questions about radiator blasting in the Steam forum recently, so you may want to keep an eye on that thread too. One reply wisely suggested to be aware of lead paint issues, and you likely have some layers of lead paint if the radiators are fairly old. If you're doing the work yourself I think that gets you around the legal aspects of the job (the DIY loophole), but blasting lead paint will create lots of lead dust so serious precautions would need to be taken. Scraping through the layers and doing a lead test would be a good first step so you know what you're up against.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    blasting off lead paint

Safest route for lead by far is sponge blasting http://www.spongejet.com/

Soda blasting is very gentle - great for soft substrates, but you really want a hard, fine grit which will leave a good surface profile on that metal.
This discussion has been closed.