Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for a Steam expert in NYC

BarbaraNY
BarbaraNY Member Posts: 1
Hi everyone - we have a 1 pipe steam system in our home.  We have done numerous renovations in the last few years including all new wood floors, moving a radiator, etc.  After the wood floor installation, it seems the whole system has gone out of wack.  Hissing/ banging, you name it..we got it.  The worst hissing I have ever heard is now occurring in our second floor bedroom (I believe it might be the last radiator on the system).  Wakes us  up right from a deep sleep.  I am looking for someone to have a look and see what needs to be done.  We have done everything we can think of (new valves, checking the slope, etc.).  We both feel it is time for a professional to have a look.  can you recommend someone in the NYC (Queens county) area?  Thank you in advance for all your help.  I should add that I'm not sure if now is the right time to have it looked at or should we wait until the fall?

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    waking up with hissing

i think if you put on a good low-pressure gauge, you will see that the venting back-pressure is too high, as the main vents must be inadequate. this is forcing all the air out the radiator vents, making the hissing you describe.

find your main vents, and check/increase them, and keep the vaporstat/pressurestat set as low as it will go!--nbc
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Steam Pro

Hi- Take a look in the "Find a Contractor" section at the top of this page and scroll down past the zip code to the "States" section.  There are quite a few listed for NY. Actually this is a very good time to have your system checked out. In the fall, especially at the first cold snap, things are pretty hectic.

- Rod
  • FJL
    FJL Member Posts: 354
    edited May 2012
    NYC Steam Expert

I recommend: http://www.heatinghelp.com/professional/69/A-Superior-Service-and-Repair-Company-Inc

He did some work for my co-op. Reasonable and honest all the way around.
This discussion has been closed.