Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler venting

Options
paul_79
paul_79 Member Posts: 91
tim i  wrote a while ago about a argument a co-worker and i had about venting the boilers which have been operating ok for 20+  years, he thinks there should be barometric dampers. i say they have been working leave "em alone.  They are rite 1.5 million btu. water tube boilers with webster powerburners  hot water system. photos show they connect to same flu.

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    They fall under

the ANSI Z83 standard for Industrial Boilers and do not need draft hoods, barometric they develop sufficient power to vent without assistance. This is typical for many industrial boilers.

I will see if I can find the actual code section in Z83 for you and print it here, IF I can find my Z83 code???
  • paul_79
    paul_79 Member Posts: 91
    Options
    boiler vent

thanks tim i figured the mechanical company twenty years ago knew what the rules were and did it the correct way. thanks for the information
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Cross TEE

The vents should of been in a Y configuration to prevent combustion gases from pushing through the other non-firing boiler or even when both boiler fireing. Our code does not permit that type of connection and AHJ would shut it down! Barometrics are not needed as per the boiler's certified I&O depending on site conditions.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Yes Henry you are correct I did

not really look at the pictures that closely. The vents need to be relocated so they are not firing at one another, that is also a code violation in the USA.
This discussion has been closed.