Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Power Gas Conversion Burner

Tim McElwain
Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
In preparing for my upcoming class I was reviewing the ANSI Z21.8 1994 (Rev 2000) <em>Installation of Domestic Gas Conversion Burners</em> and discovered something I was not aware of.

In the past the installation of a Gas Power Burner into an existing oil boiler did not require the chimney to be lined. If it was firing on oil and was not a problem it did not have to be lined.

The change to Part 5 PREPARATION OF EXISTING VENTING SYSTEM Section 5.1.1 states that, <strong>"the chimney passageway shall be examined to ascertain that it is properly lined."</strong>

The actual section is listed here:

PART 5

PREPARATION OF EXISTING VENTING SYSTEM

5.1 Chimneys.

5.1.1 Inspection of Chimneys:

a Before connecting a vent connector to a chimney and installing a gas conversion burner, the chimney passageway shall be examined to ascertain that it is properly lined, clear and free of obstructions arid shall be cleaned if previously used for venting solid or liquid fuel-burning appliances.

b.    An accessible clean-out shall be provided. The deanoutshal1 have a tight-fitting cover and be installed so its upper edge is at least 12 inches (305 mm) below the lower edge of the lowest chimney inlet opening.

c.     When inspection reveals that an existing chimney is not safe for the intended application, it shall ·be rebuilt to conform to nationally recognized standards, lined or relined with a suitable liner, or replaced with a vent or chimney suitable for the equipment to be attached.

5.1.2 Termination:

a A chimney shall extend at least 3 feet (91.44 cm) above the highest point where it passes through a roof of a building and at least 2 feet (60.96 cm) higher than any portion of a building within a horizontal distance of 10 feet (3.05 m).

b. A chimney shall extend at least 5 feet (1.52 m) above the highest

connected equipment draft hood outlet or flue collar.                                     1

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Tim

It seems they are attempting to stop "Two Wrongs" before it happens.Even if the oil burner exhausted into an unlined chimney, the new gas burner simply cannot be.I think there are a lot of chimneys out there, that are just brick boxes without proper flue lining, and this new requirement is a good thing.
  • KeithC
    KeithC Member Posts: 38
    Lining

Question - the code makes no mention to a terra cotta liner or a stainless steel drop in liner. Is an existing clay flue liner acceptable?

Each inspector around here has a different opinion and it's nice to have the code book to back you up.

Thanks

Keith
This discussion has been closed.