Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

summer shutdown

Options
ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
I'm wondering what most people recommend doing to a steam boiler when the depressing time of summer shutdown comes.

I've seen a few people say they flood the boiler to get the water above the normal resting place, however I don't see how you could bring the water to a boil after this to get all of the dissolved gases out?

I am also wondering if I should do a blowdown at 5 or 10 pounds, but then I'm going to be adding water and not boiling it much because its warm outside.  Maybe its better to just leave it alone until the fall and do a blowdown then?

I just installed the boiler back in early November so it doesn't have many hours on it yet.
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• Cris_in_Sunset_Park
    Options
    nice!

That is a nice looking insulation job!  Is it a special kind?
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    Options
    insulation

Its Knauf brand insulation with PVC covers from www.buyinsulationproducts.com.

Thanks for the compliment, though there are others on this forum who did nicer than me such as crash2009. I still need to finish mine, just haven't had the time.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    I literally do nothing,

but turn down the thermostat..you could fill it to the header and thats okay,..just don't drain it down and leave it empty, cause it won't really be empty..water will find places to puddle and rust...big boilers they use driers in or pump them up with nitrogen..non of this is needed in a house..or anything short of industry..like i said, i just do nothing but turn down the t-stat.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

This discussion has been closed.