Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressuretrol options

I have decided to replace my existing pressuretrol in conjuction with other work that I am now doing.  I currently have a Honeywell PA404A 1033W.  My system does not cycle on pressure, only temperature, so I do not think that I need a vaporstat.  Is there a better pressuretrol option available than the PA404A?

Thanks.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,169
    Could I ask

why you are replacing the pressuretrol?  The one you have is good unit, and if the system doesn't shut off on pressure and you have the pressure set low -- say 1.5 psi -- seems to me it comes under the heading of it ain't broke, so why fix it?

And no, for all the various comments, that model pressuretrol is about as good as they come for what they do...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ToddB
    ToddB Posts: 75
    checked switch

I manually activated the switch recently as a test and found that it did not consistently shut down the boiler.  I have it set at 1.5 and 0.5 and found that I operate on 0.1 psi maximum.  I know that I am operating at a very low pressure, so I consider that the pressuretrol serves only a safety device.  I was just curious if there was a model available that was more reliable in terms of the switch.  My pressuretrol is about 8 years old.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,169
    In your situation...

I wouldn't replace the pressuretrol -- I'd add a vapourstat.  Not a whole lot more expensive, and much more reliable at the pressures you are operating at.  Wire it in series with the existing pressuretrol, and set it at you 1.5 cutout/1.0 differential.  Then set the pressuretrol at 5 psi with a differential of say 2 and use it as a safety backup.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.