Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Peerless Cast 92-2/4

meplumber
meplumber Member Posts: 678
Just wondering if anyone has installed any. They appear to be the same as the Hydrotherm KN series and the Ray. i am looking for a modulating boiler for high temp designed light commercial retrofit applications.

I am seeing some ugly things on some older Elite's and Knight's that were run at the higher end of the temperature band for extended periods of time.

Input is appreciated.

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Same as Ray

Mestek casts all the iron for Peerless,exact same boiler.The casting is extra thick  to handle the condensate,if you don't condense much it should have a life equal to or greater than any other CI boiler. Never installed one,200K is a bit large for most houses!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • meplumber
    Thanks Robert.

I do a lot of 10,000+ sq ft high end residential and commercial. (As well as some large institutional work.) I have used the Elite's and Knights in the past with good results. However, I recently have seen some issues with the Gianonni's when subjected to high temps for extended periods.

The smaller boilers seem fine, it is the large ones, 200-600K that are showing the problems. I am searching for a solid retrofit boiler with modulation that can handle 180 design temps.

Thank you.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    continuous 180F

Does not cause issues that I am aware of with the (original) TT Prestige boilers (Lochinvar WHN is based on that same HX.)  The new TriMax stuff could be even better, but we won't know for sure for a few years.
  • meplumber
    Thanks SWEI

You are correct with the lower btu models. i have heard of some issues on the larger ones. I have a colleague that has a couple 399's that he is started to get concerned about.

The inherent problem lies in the lack of a thermal mass to distribute the heat in the heat exchanger. A burner large enough to fire at half a million btus puts an incredible strain on the heat exchanger when subjected to the high end of the temperature band over the bulk of its life.

I am going to visit a site with 18 Hydrotherm KN's on Thursday. These have been up and running for a while and I am interested to talk to the guy that maintains them.

I will let you know.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    I wonder if

that was part of the reason for the HX design change.  Bottom of the HX is the coolest portion in these designs, so perhaps that polypropylene bottom (in addition to eliminating potential condensate etching of the pan) allows the cylinder to expand and contract a bit more?
This discussion has been closed.