Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas piping outside?

ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,584
I realize this isn't necessary the best forum for this, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

I'm going to be extending my gas line to hook up a weber gas grill in a month or so and need to know what the special connector Weber uses on their 10 foot NG hose.  I'm going to need whatever the mating piece is, unless it comes with the grill?

Thanks for your time.

Chris J
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Weber Grill

I've had a Weber grill for about 20 years. It uses a quick connect connection that came with the grill.
  • ChrisJ
    quick connect

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your response.

Do you remember if its a 1/2" or 3/8" connection? The NPT side I mean..
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • AlexS
    AlexS Member Posts: 69
    1/2

My NG grill came with hose and quick disconnect... Other end is 1/2" NPT.
  • adambuild
    adambuild Member Posts: 414
    1/2"

I disagree!!!!!!!! Weber natural gas grills come with a quick connect coupling that has 3/8" threads, not 1/2". Call Weber and they'll tell you: 800-466-1071
  • AlexS
    AlexS Member Posts: 69
    1/2

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine still came with 1/2".
  • ChrisJ
    Oh, joy

I guess I just need to run a 1/2" and pick up a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter just in case.

Perhaps AlexS has a bigger grill? :)
  • Outdoor Piping

Make sure you use galvanized - not black - pipe.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • ChrisJ
    galvanized

Hi Alan,

I had considered this but figured I would just use black iron, clean it prime it and paint it just like I did when I piped the gas meter in.

Is galvanized recommended out side over painting?
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,199
    Galvanized

The code here requires galvanized. 

I'm sure many others don't specify which. 
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Galvannized:

No galvanixed pipe of fittings in Massachusetts.  Wrap it.
  • Mpj
    Mpj Member Posts: 109
    gal pipe

May I ask, wrap it with what?

Thx
  • ChrisJ
    wrap

That tape is suppose to be more protecting then cleaning, priming and painting the pipe?

Hmmm....
  • Maine Vent
    Maine Vent Member Posts: 130
    New Grill vs Retrofit ???

Hey Chris

Is this a new NG Weber grill install, or a old propane retrofit to NG?
    Weil McLean SGO4, Riello Gas Burner
    404 sq ft EDR
    Old Burnham V8 Removal
  • ChrisJ
    old or new

Brandy new, have yet to even buy the grill.

Planning on a Spirit E-310.

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-4521001-Spirit-Natural-Grill/dp/B001H1HOSC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1330992486&sr=8-2
  • Maine Vent
    Regulator selection

Chris, what in line gas regulator are you considering? I will be looking at doing the same in a year or so. I will need a new grill, which will be a Weber NG. Just curious as to the pressure regulator you will need for this.

Thanks
    404 sq ft EDR
    Old Burnham V8 Removal
  • ChrisJ
    regulator

Main vent,

As far as I know all is contained in the Weber grill. It comes ready to hook directly to a NG line running 0.25PSI which is standard.

I have to assume, if a regulator is necessary its built into the grill it self.
  • Maine Vent
    Regulator selection

Hey Chris,

I went to check out this grill. I am looking at one also, for NG as I said. I am sending you link to the manual. I can't see anywhere in the manual where it shows their (Weber's) regulator. Weber does say it needs 7" inch of pressure. I am now going to assume this setup is like a NG cooking stove, or dryer, we would need a regulator to lower the gas pressure to 7". My incoming pressure from my meter is 2lbs, which is very high for a home. Gas comp. says thats ok.

So back to the grill here is the manual link.

http://help.weber.com/manuals/pdf_files/Gas/Spirit%20ES%20Series%202007newer/OwnersGuides/Spirit_210310_NG_OwnersGuide_89961_022811.pdf

Let me know what you think
    404 sq ft EDR
    Old Burnham V8 Removal
  • ChrisJ
    edited March 2012
    regulator

Main Vent,

I have the grill sitting in a box right now as I am getting ready to run the gas line and pour a patio for it. The instructions that come with it are completely different than the PDF Weber has online.

The quick disconnect uses a 3/8" connection which I am running 1/2" out to it and then through an adapter to 3/8. The manual shows absolutely no information as far as a regulator being required in the instructions.

I've never measured my pressure but something tells me your pressure is 2 PSI to your meters regulator and then its dropped down to .2526 psi after the regulator. The pressure coming to my house from the road is 5 PSI via a 1/2" plastic line but the regulator at the meter drops it down.

I'm sure a pro here could give us more info on the subject.
  • VictoriaEnergy
    VictoriaEnergy Member Posts: 126
    Gas pressures

The gas pressure in modern P-E street mains is often 60 psig; best not to play with that part.

All appliances are required to have low inlet pressure only (7"wc)

If your service is a 2psig service, all appliances have to have a 2psig to 7" appliance regulator.

There are 2psig BBQ outlet boxes available that have a shut off valve, a 2psig reg, and a quick connect coupler inside them.

Also note BBQ outlets must have a fusible link inside them that shuts off the gas flow when your new BBQ: gets a little old, full of grease and lights the side of your house on fire when it's imitating the Olympic cauldron.  The idiots who use the quick connects intended for air tools as BBQ couplers should be shot.
    Home Owners Please Note:

You are receiving advice from some very skilled pros completely free of charge. One of the reasons I participate is to sharpen my own troubleshooting skills. So; did we get it right? I would be grateful if you extend this courtesy back by posting the final outcome of the issue you are inquiring about. Thanks
  • bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    Vic,Dude,Babe

Last sentence was pretty heavy. Teasing or joking around is one thing.
  • PeterNH
    PeterNH Member Posts: 88
    yup

"Also note BBQ outlets must have a fusible link inside them that shuts off the gas flow when your new BBQ: gets a little old, full of grease and lights the side of your house on fire when it's imitating the Olympic cauldron. "

LOL, Exactly!

A few year ago i'm eating lunch looking out the window at the house next door and all of a sudden the LP grill on the deck gets going, the gas line got into it, somehow,  and the next thing the deck was on fire. By the time the fire dept got there, the railing of one side of the deck was gone. They used chemical extinguishers and managed to turn off the gas bottle.  Don't know what would have happened if was tied into a system.

The LP company guys i have, said there is no way they will ever hook up to protable gas grill.

Peter
  • Maine Vent
    Quick Disconnect/Regulator Chris

I got reply back from Weber Tech support I think we will need a regulator. As far the response to the quick disconnect information this is from Weber manual. See here.

Some of the following are general requirements taken from the latest edition of the

National Fuel Gas Code: ANSI Z 223.1/NFPA 54, or CAN/CGA-B149.1, Natural Gas and

Propane Installation Code for complete specifications.

• This barbecue is designed to operate at 7" of water column pressure (.2526 psi).

• A manual shut-off valve must be installed outdoors, immediately ahead of the quick

disconnect.

• An additional manual shut-off valve indoors should be installed in the branch fuel line

in an accessible location near the supply line.

• The quick disconnect connects to a 3/8" NPT thread from the gas source. The quick

disconnect fitting is a hand-operated device that automatically shuts off the flow of

gas from the source when the barbecue is disconnected.

• The quick disconnect fitting can be installed horizontally, or pointing downward.

Installing the fitting with the open end pointing upward can result in collecting water

and debris.

• The dust covers (supplied plastic plugs) help keep the open ends of the quick

disconnect fitting clean while disconnected.

• Pipe compound should be used which is resistant to the action of natural gas when

connections are made.

• The outdoor connector must be firmly attached to rigid, permanent construction.

Here is another manual from Weber Tech support link.

http://help.weber.com/manuals/pdf_files/Gas/Genesis%20ES%20Series%202007newer/OwnersGuides/Genesis_310_NG_owners%20guide_2012_54382_081511.pdf

Done safely and done RIGHT, NG can just as safe outside as it is inside.

I like mine medium to medium rare.

Good Luck Chris
    404 sq ft EDR
    Old Burnham V8 Removal
  • ChrisJ
    Fire

Peter,

And this is why grills should NOT be used on wooden decks.

As far as what would happen if the grill was hooked up to NG as mine is about to be, I would have 6 valves away from the grill I could use to shut the gas off. Much easier than the propane tank right next to the grill.

However, the fact mine will be sitting on concrete away from anything flammable kind of makes it a moot point anyway.
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Gas Safety

One very important difference is that NG is lighter than air, where as propane is much heavier than air (1 1/2 times) . That means if you have a propane leak, the leaking propane will pool and collect. If your barbecue is on a porch, the leaking propane will collect below the porch.  If on a patio, it will collect around the barbecue and flow into low spots.  With Natural Gas, being lighter than air, the leaking gas dissipates upwards.  
  • Vinny_5
    Vinny_5 Member Posts: 59
    Hi, Chris

Hi, if I may be so bold as to jump in with some information from personal experience, I may be able to help.   I have had my natural gas Weber grill for about 12-13 years now, and I took some pictures so you could get a close up view of it unconnected and then connected with the quick-connector.  It is the first time I have uncovered it since December, so please excuse the dirt. This grill is built like a tank and will probably outlive me.  You have made an excellent choice in choosing a Weber and I can't say enough good things about their products.

The greatest thing is knowing you will never run out of gas or have to change tanks in the middle of a barbecue party. 

Good luck, Vinny. 
  • ChrisJ
    edited March 2012
    line done

I ran the pipe yesterday and built the grill today. We still need to pour the concrete which will get done next weekend and I need to paint the gas pipe.

I may get the pipe primed and painted sometime during the week but we'll see. The grill is a few feet from anything combustible.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    The grill...

should be tethered or secured so it can rip away from the gas connection.
  • ChrisJ
    secured

Huh?
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    Didnt think...

that was hard to figure out.  The grill pictured is on wheels. Either take the wheels off or make it so that when rolling around there will not be strain of the gas line.
  • Vinny_5
    No need

for it to be teathered down as I use the extended hose to roll it closer to my home during rainy weather and such.  That grill is very heavy and no winds have ever moved it during the 12-13 years I have owned it.  Can't say that it won't move during a hurrricane, earthquake, or tornado, but otherwise it stays put and by teathering, it would undermine the flexibility of why I purchaced it in the first place.   
  • ChrisJ
    Wow

That is a beautiful view you have from that deck,  do you have any other pictures?
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Weber Grill

As stated earlier I've had a Weber grill for 20 years, I'm actually on my second one. What I've always done when I'm done using the grill I disconnect it from the gas line and turn off the outside valve. When i go to use it again I reconnect and turn on the gas. Make sure you use the caps that come with the grill. I've been through Tropical storms Floyd and Irene and he grill has never budged.
  • Vinny_5
    Weber

Chris, thanks for the compliment, I'll snap a few more for you when I get the chance.

Mark, I have always kept it attached to the line year round, but I shut the gas off after each use.  My buddy has a 16 year old red Weber and it works great, and he swears that the older generations like ours are built stronger and made to last longer than their newer models.  I even put a pizza stone on it and make pizzas in the summer, but that is going to change this year as we will be hopefully  having a wood burning pizza oven built  just off the deck. ( I was a pizza maker for 10 years)

Enjoy it as well as  the good times with your friends and family, as it will last a very long time. 
  • ChrisJ
    older weber

I used to have a Weber Genesis Silver identical to yours.  I now have a Weber Spirit E-310 and yes there are a few things different the main thing being the Spirit comes with porcelain enameled steel racks while the older Genesis silver had cast iron.

I plan on buying a set of cast iron racks for it at one point when I have the money.  I guess it makes sense, my Genesis Silver was $500 or so back in 2000-2001 and the Spirit E-310 NG was $519 now so something had to be different.

Two of my neighbors also have Genesis Silver models and I've done a side by side comparison and the racks were the only thing that caught my attention after building the Spirit yesterday.  I also have to assume a new Genesis model for $700+ is probably built just as well if not better than the older Silver model in every way.  However one thing to keep in mind, the Spirit series currently uses 99% of the layout your Genesis Silver has including the burners.  The new Genesis and higher models have a different burner layout which I'm not so sure I care for.
  • Vinny_5
    edited March 2012
    Either way they are all excellent

What I should mention is that after I went through 2 sets of flavorizer bars, (I use the grill quite often)  I researched and found this guy who is a metal fabricator on EBAY that custom makes very heavy gauge stainless steel flavorizer bars for the Weber.  That was a while ago, and I may never have to replace the bars again.  I don't remember his name or if he still makes them, but just figured I would let you know.

Now as per your request:  
  • ChrisJ
    Beautiful pictures

I wish I lived in an area like that.  We live in a very small old town which, I'll admit I love a lot of things about it.  But I do wish we had a lot more land.

I seem to recall hearing Weber also makes stainless steel falvorizer bars.  I think they are around $70 a set.
  • Vinny_5
    edited March 2012
    Actually

we only have a bit over 1/3 acre, that land you see is farmed for cattle corn and grass by a local farmer.  I am lucky that they maintain it so well so we can enjoy the views, but our actual lot is only 105' x 150'.  I am glad that is all I have to mow, and the great thing is my neighbors are all great as well.  Means the world to have cool neighbors and a safe development just 70 miles north of that jungle we call NYC!  I lived in the city for 27 years and couldn't wait to move away and just go there to make a living. 

I did twice previously use the replacement Weber bars (not the stainless ones) and found the ones on EBAY were of thicker gauge than the Weber ones.  Very heavy duty construction.  The cast iron grill itself is indestructable and I love the char marks it makes on a nice porterhouse.

Enjoy the grill.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    Still need a tether

The tether need not restrict moving the grill. It just takes the strain before the hose does. Safety first please.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • ChrisJ
    Tether

With all due respect, why is there no mention of a tether in the installation manual to the grill?
This discussion has been closed.