Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

GlowPlug lights - but no flame

Options
paulski
paulski Member Posts: 12
I have a goodman furnace . The glow plug lights up for five seconds or so and then clicks off. No flame occurs during this time .. but i cleaned the flame sensor anyways.  The Red light never flashes a signal to give an error code

Any thoughts?

Comments

• hotpipe
    hotpipe Member Posts: 24
    Options
    gas valve opening

Usually you can hear it open and the gas hiss from the burners. It sounds like a qualified service tech is needed.
    Don't blame me, I voted for the old war hero and the business expert!!!!
  • VictoriaEnergy
    VictoriaEnergy Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Replace the igniter

If it's giving up only 5 secconds after it starts to glow, replace the igniter.
    Home Owners Please Note:

You are receiving advice from some very skilled pros completely free of charge. One of the reasons I participate is to sharpen my own troubleshooting skills. So; did we get it right? I would be grateful if you extend this courtesy back by posting the final outcome of the issue you are inquiring about. Thanks
  • Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    Options
    I would...

Check and make sure you have a good ground, very important.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Check the 120 volts

coming from the control board to see if it is still present or if it shut off, if so the board is the problem. Does the combustion blower come on and stay on?
  • paulski
    paulski Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Problem solved - hopefully

This unit is a rental - I went back over shut down the system and power. I restarted it and the furnace runs for one cycle tries to light - some flame - before failing to restart.  After it locks out , if I shut down the power and reset the thermostat it will re-light for one cycle.

When I looked at it before there was no  flame because the flame was locked out from multiple tries but the glowplug still lit. 

Since I did get some flame before lock out I looked at the flame sensor again.

I had previpously cleaned the flame sensor but this time I replaced it for $16. It has been rumnning good for a day now ...

thx
  • furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Options
    Sounds like a goodman

They had a screwy sequence on a few models that would cycle the ignitor even in lockout.
This discussion has been closed.