Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

mega press

bovide_4
bovide_4 Member Posts: 161
I just read that Viega MegaPress is rated for low pressure steam. We repair steam and return lines on a daily basis. What do you guys think about pressing with black pipe on steam?

Comments

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    i think,

i wont press on steam until i see them last 50 plus years..somehow i dont think i'll make it..
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• bovide_4
    bovide_4 Member Posts: 161
    I hope

you do make it:) How about returns? On steam, we have problems with old 2" steam risers leaking and no access  to fittings up or down the line. It builds character threading an existing 2" steam riser in an apartment bathroom with a 700.
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Big Question - How long do EPDM Gaskets last?

I guess it all depends on what you consider a reasonable life expectancy of steam system piping. ( I would be really interested in what life expectancy figure Viega uses.) The live expectancy of EPDM is usually stated as a minimum of "20 years" and the figure of "25 years" is sort of a rubber/plastic industry standard. (Other rubbers like silicone can go longer than this). EPDM and similar products have only been in use for around 50 years so they have a long way to go just to match the known life expectancy of threaded black pipe used for steam systems, many of which are still in use now and going strong after a hundred years.

I can see the definite benefits in labor saving for using this system and with a reasonable service life, probably the worst thing that could happen is that you would belong to a new group, " those  !*#^%%*!# Dead Men that used EPDM Press fittings!"  and be cursed every day, 30 years from now :)
This discussion has been closed.