Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam trap return gets hot

Fizz
Fizz Member Posts: 547
I have a Richardson system(2 pipe orifice returns), but several(3) rads were added to system, with traditional traps.  One of traps gets hot in return when steam gets to trap.  Trap is original Trane B-1, integrated cage/seat, which was in dis-repair, i replaced workings with B& J, but it will get hot in return when system has been running a long cycle.  Is this normal?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    How hot is hot?

It would be quite normal for it to get as hot as 200 -- maybe even a little bit hotter.  It should not get as hot as say 207.  But... my hands, at least, have some difficulty distinguishing the evel of "yeouch" at that temperature.  Do you have access to an IR (no-contact) thermometer?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Fizz
    Access to therm

No i don't but I could get one at local plumbing supply store.  Thanks.
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    IR Thermometer

Home Depot has them in their tool dept. . I have a Ryobi Model RP4030  and have been very happy with it. Be sure to take the measurements up close as there farther back you are, the larger the sampling area. Measure the inlet side and the outlet side of the trap and with a properly working trap, you should see a noticeable difference.

- Rod
  • Fizz
    IR therm

Good advice.  Thanks.

Fizz
This discussion has been closed.