Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Header Pitch

Options
MikeyB
MikeyB Member Posts: 696
Does it make a big difference if you face your elbow at the end of the Header straight down to connect into the equalizer? if you pitch the Horizontal portion of the header more than expected you would have to install a elbow/nipple/45 to plumb the equalizer into the top of the Hartford Loop Tee, I have seen it done both ways, just curious if it really makes a difference either way, I'm figuring if you only pitch the horizontal section just a  little  to drain you could use just an elbow to drop down straight into the Hartford Tee and would never see that the equalizer pipe is out of plumb, Would the elbow/45 combo add too much resistance to balance the equalizer? Thanks

Comments

• Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Options
    I haven't found a difference

We use a 45 almost always to straighten out the equalizer , like you mention . We tend to give our boiler main pipe the absolute minimum pitch cause I really hate seeing crooked pipes ! :) 

Even with the minimum pitch , if you use a long nip for the equalizer it'll look horrible unless you swing the joint a bit . 
  • MikeyB
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Pitch

Thanks Ron, love your work on the Drop Headers,  also wondering what other had to say concering this, also Ron do you still use the same e-mail address & phone number? I had emailed you a while back about a job in Wantagh, just want to know for any future work so I  can pass your over you way, thanks
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Options
    Thanks for the compliment Mike !

My buddy Kenny actually did the equalizer and HL . I see plenty of equalizers that drop down in size with a 2 by 1 1/4 ell right at the end of the boiler main . No issues with those systems either . So the little extra turn the 45 adds is very negligible . Not to mention you won't have much condensate flowing down the equalizer once the header is hot . Which is just a few seconds after it starts steaming .

Still have the same email but it gets LOADED  with spam . Even with filters on . I have a gmail account with the same name attached to it . Send me an email from here and I'll give you it and my number .  Thanks Mike !
  • MikeyB
    Options
    Header

Sounds good Ron, I'm in the middle of transferring to a new Building in NYC and will have my new e-mail set up hopefully a week from Monday, once I'm set up and running ill shoot you an email, thanks again Ron
This discussion has been closed.