Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Electronic Igniters

Options
How do you test the new Electronic spark ignitors for oil.Any good references? thanks for any help!!!

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    We talking about

A Beckett?

1. Beckett does allow the screwdriver test. I don't short them out, but almost touch, and you should get a continuous strong spark at 3/4 of and inch.

2. Remove power, check ohms from one spring to ground. Should be less then 2000 ohms, and each spring to ground should be the same. Any difference over 20%, change ignitor.

3. Remove ignitor, check ohms on each spring to ignitor case. Same parameters as #2.

4. Live test, with ignitor removed, apply power, put electrodes on springs, of course you have to be careful to not get zapped, let it spark for 5 minutes. Check amp draw with clamp on meter. If any changes, replace ignitor.

I've done all these tests, had the ignitor 'pass', then come back two weeks later for a 'no heat' call, and the ignitor is dead.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    are you

having issues with them? They do not like constant duty, although some will say it makes no difference in their life expectancy. For systems that have no cad cell relay type safety controls, they get an old style transformer. If you can set them up for interrupted ignition, do it. They last longer. They do sell testers for these, but my methods are close to Steve's.
This discussion has been closed.