Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Accidentally Cut Threads

Options
bowman
bowman Member Posts: 20
I had to remove a piece of pipe from a fitting in a one-pipe steam system and it wouldn't budge so I cut it off next to the fitting and cut into the remaining stub of the pipe inside the fitting in three places and then chiseled the old pieces out. Done this many times before with no problems but this time I accidentally cut too deep and one of my cuts ended up going all the way through the threads inside the fitting I am trying to save.

I don't want to replace that fitting too, so I am wondering if I can fix this by epoxying a nipple in the damaged fitting with JB Weld. It is residential steam operating at under 2 PSI, but the damaged area is also low so condensate will be flowing past it as well.

Will JB Weld work? Is there any other product that I can try? I recognize that such products may render the nipple  impossible  to remove in the future but that is probably not a problem given its location. At this point replacing the damaged fitting would be more problematic, especially if JB Weld or something similar could do the trick.

Any thoughts?

Thanks  

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Cut Threads

Hi- If it's just the threads cut a bit, I'd use either some high temp silicone or just wrap it with teflon tape and use some pipe dope and tighten it up. I've done a couple like that and didn't have a problem.

- Rod
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,967
    Options
    ditto

blue teflon tape and high temp caulk. Install and sleep easy.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Damaged Threads:

Three or more wraps of Blue Monster Teflon Tape and #5 Rectumseal on the male and female threads.

I've never ever had a leak in the years I've been doing it.

I'd skip the JB Weld. Eposy and heat do not go together. My high school autto shop teacher had a saying, "You can't buy a mechanic in a can.". In 50+ years, he hasn't been proven wrong, yet.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    black high temp

permatex gasket sealer on both the male and female threads..screw together and you'll be fine..
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Fixing a boo-boo

Don't forget to pay attention to the pressure your repaired joint may have to hold, and keep it down!--nbc
  • bowman
    bowman Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Thank you

Okay. Thanks everyone. I feel better now knowing that I can salvage this screw up. I will go with a non-epoxy product and next time I will be more careful when cutting inside the threads..
This discussion has been closed.