Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

converting to gas

Options
Bobbyd2727
Bobbyd2727 Member Posts: 27
I'm thinking of converting my old oil boiler to gas heat.  My home is about 3000 square feet with three zones of baseboard heating.  I've heard the triangle tube prestige or solo condensing boilers are a quality high efficiency product.  My concern is how do I know if I have enough baseboard with the lower temperature?  Also do you recommend this boiler?  I'm willing to spend the money to get the best.  My forty year old dunkirk oil boiler is costing me a fortune. I use about 1200 gallons of oil a year at around $4.00 a gallon. Are any other gas systems as good?  Any of your thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!  Bob

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Boiler Sufficient

If the boiler is sized properly, why would you think that it wouldn't heat sufficiently? A mod/con lowers the water temp through its outdoor reset curve. As it gets colder outside, the water temp is raised proportionately. The curve is adjustable to match the load characteristics of the house. You only need the hottest water (180*) on the coldest day.

You should have a load calculation done to determine what size boiler you need and to set the reset curve correctly.

The TT is an excellent boiler, but choosing the right contractor is of far more importance than the make of boiler. A good hydronics man can take an average boiler and make it run and last well; a knucklehead can mess up the best boiler made and you'll blame the appliance instead of him. Do your homework on choosing a hydronic contractor. I emphasize: a HYDRONIC contractor. Let him install what he's comfortable using.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    I might add

to Bob's comments; when you hire a contractor make sure he is also going to service the unit for you. Some of these units need an annual cleaning and other yearly adjustments which can be costly if not done correctly.
This discussion has been closed.