Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Uponor manifold positioning

Options
I have a TruFlow Junior manifold with with isolation valves and balancing valves. The way the manifold is set up, the tubing connects from the bottom of the manifold. My tubing is all coming from the top so I have to put three 90 degree bends in the tubing to connect it. The question is can I turn the manifolds upside down and reverse the vent/drain valves on the tee at the end of the manifold? this will allow the tubing to come in from the top but the isolation and balancing valves will be upside down. Will it work as designed? Thanks in advance for your replies

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Position

It's OK to install the manifold upside down. Makes venting and purging more difficult, but if you purge the loops individually, you'll get the air out.
  • smarje1
    smarje1 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I was told...

I have the Uponor EP manifold that I am setting up right now and had the same question.  I was told that mounting the manifold upside down would cause the flow meters to not read correctly but everything else would be fine.  I ended up mounting it the right way and putting 90* fittings in the tubing.  testing today and hopefully have water in by the weekend. 
  • pipe4zen
    pipe4zen Member Posts: 108
    Options
    upside down

No problem mounting either truflow or EP manifolds upside. No problem with flow meters either. The purge end caps rotate to allow the drain to face in the correct orientation.

Only caution if placing actuators on manifolds, then you really don't want those to face down.
  • pipe4zen
    pipe4zen Member Posts: 108
    Options
    upside down

No problem mounting either truflow or EP manifolds upside. No problem with flow meters either. The purge end caps rotate to allow the drain to face in the correct orientation.

Only caution if placing actuators on manifolds, then you really don't want those to face down.
  • WKB
    WKB Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Manifold actuators

What is the reason manifold actuators cannot be mounted upside down.....?????

I understand manifold can be upside down and work ok but not the actuators  ....why is this ???
  • Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    Options
    In case there's a leak

Any leak would drip right on the actuators. Not a problem if you mount the manifolds in the upright orientation - only one 90 degree turn no matter whether the tubing enters from the top or the bottom.

I'm not quite sure I understand why anyone would use fittings (which tend to be restrictive to flow) when the tubing itself can easily be bent.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    I don't guess it matters a whole lot

which way you turn the manifold just as long as you keep it accessable for servicing. My personal opinion, whenever I see a manifold upsidedown, is that it doesn't look very neat or proffessional.
This discussion has been closed.