Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator Valves

Options
I am working on a quote for a customer.  Currently a two-pipe steam system.  This customer like a lot of control of his radiators and is constantly adjusting the radiator valves.  What are some good options to quote to help him out.  Some valves are stuck in place after having been shut off for many years (kids moved away and the bedrooms haven't been used since).

All considerations welcome.

Comments

• Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    More Information

What type of 2-pipe system.  Are the valves original?  Some had orifices in them or were modulated open - closed with a 1/2 turn or less.   Many old valves can be made to operate like new with servicing and in many cases will work better.  Just need more information.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • Hovlandstech
    Hovlandstech Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Wish I knew

Being that I am much of a steam novice, I couldn't tell you what it has for valves!  The majority have a round handle that seems to screw in multiple revolutions.  A couple appear to have been replaced and have a handle and what probably used to be a dial setting.  Hope this helps.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    edited February 2012
    Options
    A thousand words

Post a picture of the valves so the system can be identified. Some of these systems worked on ounces of pressure and had special proprietary air venting/vacuum features. They were the Cadillac of systems, and can still work great.

It may be difficult to give a quote on all the necessary work, until you are into the job, so maybe time and materials would be more realistic.nbc
This discussion has been closed.