Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam vents spitting

rx7ed
rx7ed Member Posts: 6
We have a 2 pipe steam system that is spitting out of the 3 main line vents that are in line off the return lines from the radators. the 2 lines are teed together with a 1/2 inch drain line going down in to the wet return. the vent are dead ended off this. the vents spit cold water out of them when the system kicks off.

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Need more Pictures

Hi - What is the maximum pressure that your system is running at?  Could you post another picture which shows the return lines you mentioned?  Take it from farther back so we can trace the piping .We can blow the pictures up if we need detail. Other than the "spitting" how well is the system operating?

- Rod
  • rx7ed
    more pic

it is heating great. here are some more pics.
  • rx7ed
    psi

it is running at .5cut in and 1 psi diff
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    1 more pic

can you take a pic of the vents a little bit further back so we can see the pipiing to and from the vents.
  • Terry in NJ
    Terry in NJ Member Posts: 36
    I am a homeowner with a similar boiler

It is a rebadged dunkirk. They are supposedly know for producing wet steam(I think the size tapping has something to do with it).. Similar to your installation, mine was done with all copper by an "air conditioning company". I had to have the near boiler connections repiped and added a vaporstat the boiler was overized.

The rest of the house piping looks decent so probably makes sense to find a trusted local plumber to get things set up right.

I've attached a picture of my boiler right after it was repiped with a drop header by Gateway.
  • rx7ed
    edited January 2012
    vents

we have 2 one inch lines teeed together with a1x1x1 1/4 tee into a 1 1/4 x 1  x1 /2 tee the 1 inch is were the vents are the 1/2 goes down to the returns with a swing check in it.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    wet steam

uninsulated copper near boiler pipiing + undersized near boiler pipiing = wet steam

wet steam = spitting vents

What's the pitch on the horizontal pipe that feeds the vent antler?
  • rx7ed
    ok let me clear this up

i am a installer, not the home owner. by 2 pipe system i mean the main line goes around the basement and is the feed and the return. the small 1" lines in the back are piped to the basebord and radiatore to remove the air. now for the million dollar question. should ther be a trap back there and what type? the 3 main line vent are spitting when the system comes back on after going off on pressure. tere  are anti syphon valves piped int the smaller loop.
  • Enreynolds
    Enreynolds Member Posts: 119
    From your last post

I believe what you are saying is that you have a mixed one pipe/two pipe system you are working on OR you habe a one pipe system set up like a Paul system. Could you please post some pictures of the radiators and baseboards, both ends?
  • Enreynolds
    Enreynolds Member Posts: 119
    From your last post

I believe what you are saying is that you have a mixed one pipe/two pipe system you are working on OR you habe a one pipe system set up like a Paul system. Could you please post some pictures of the radiators and baseboards, both ends?
  • rx7ed
    re

sorry no pics of rads. it has 2" line going around the basement and the vent line that reduces as it gets farrer away from the boiler.
This discussion has been closed.