Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Meter

Steve_210
Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
I have been asked to install a steam meter on a job.  It is an apt building. I have not even seen it yet.  It is low pressure steam ie there is a boiler in the building, it is not City steam.  I have never used a steam meter. Does anyone know the pros and cons and possible problems of using a steam meter or do they even exist?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    They exist alright

Google or Bing "Steam meters" and you will get a nice listing of sources of information or supply.

You will also find out that on low pressure saturated steam -- our typical less than 2 psi -- that they aren't particularly common... to put it mildly.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Steve_210
    Thanks Jamie

I am waiting for one company to get back to me.

Anybody used these on LP steam
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,199
    Measuring Steam

You may want to put a water meter on the return and measure the condensate instead.
  • Steve_210
    Interesting

Thanks Ed. Have you ever done this, how well does it work?
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,199
    Water meter

No, I've never done this. But this is how district steam was billed back in the old days.  I saw this in an old heating book. 

The only problem I see is the need for sufficient water pressure to operate the meter and a meter that did not inject too much pressure loss.  No problem on a pumped return, but you'd have to watch out on gravity returns. 
This discussion has been closed.