Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How often change water in boiler?

The water is clear in the boiler and the wet returns. However:

1. Do the pros drain & refill the boiler and wet returns once per season? Or only the boiler? Or if things are clean just leave it alone?

2. Summer- Leave the boiler full of water end of season? Or drain the boiler and returns, then refill before firing?

Thanks.
One pipe steam, Weil-McLain 380 , pipes mostly insulated, 32 radiators!

Bock 32E water heater, Bock M-SR burner with .75 80A nozzle.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Changing baby's water

If the water is clean, then no change is required, and will introduce more rust-producing oxygen into the boiler.

If it is dirty, then give it a skimming.--nbc
  • FJL
    FJL Member Posts: 354
    What About Sediment?

What is the correct thing to do if the water is generally clear but gets muddy for a while when the sediment is disturbed? I had a tech out to look at a problem and it required filling the boiler with water and that caused sediment to be disturbed and that led to muddy water in the sight glass, but the sight glass cleared up after a while.
  • David Nadle
    David Nadle Member Posts: 624
    Draining sediment

I think it's good to drain the sediment out occasionally. I do it about once a month during the heating season and it ends up being about a quart each time. I would only add water when you are sure the boiler will run the same day, and I leave the old water in all summer.
  • FJL
    FJL Member Posts: 354
    Draining Sediment

How do you drain sediment?  Should there be valve at the bottom of the boiler that can be opened.  I know of the valve for skimming, so should there be a similar one at the bottom?  And you just open that an let out the dirty water?
  • SchenleySeven
    SchenleySeven Member Posts: 27
    Get the crud out

Yes. Every boiler should have a drain valve at the base. Open that (boiler cold of course) and let it blast out the crud.

My wet return has a union that I open to let the crud in it pour out, also cold of course.

Then top up the water level.
    One pipe steam, Weil-McLain 380 , pipes mostly insulated, 32 radiators!

Bock 32E water heater, Bock M-SR burner with .75 80A nozzle.
This discussion has been closed.