Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Which Model Vaporstat for 1 Pipe Steam ?

Options
Hi- Other questions on Vaporstats reminded me of a question I've wanted to ask.  I'm using the 0-4 PSI (1017) model for my 1 pipe steam system and have been very happy with it's operation.

What I am wondering is how many people are using the 0-16 ounces (L408J1009) model for 1 pipe steam and what your impressions are and whether you feel that the 0-16 ounce model is the best choice of the two?

- Rod

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,313
    Options
    I would rather

have the 0 to 4 for one pipe steam, as it is quite normal for one pipe to need to go to 1 to 1.5 psi at times, and the 0 to 4 variety is just fine for that.  Also, IMHO, for most two pipe -- but not for vapour, where you definetly need the 0 to 16 ounce; the system I superintend, for instance, cuts out at 6 ounces and back in at half an ounce...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I am happy with the 0-16

I am using the 0-16 model to control an oversized boiler.  The boiler is rated for 500 EDR, I have 377 connected.  The vaporstat I have, came from the factory set to: on at 3 ounces, and off at 8 ounces.  I left it set to the factory specs.  It has been reliable for two seasons now.  So far this season, the weather has been mild, my pressure has rarely got up to 8 ounces.  The vaporstat did have to work a few times this year when a window blew open and chilled the thermostat. The open window thing has happened a few times, when it happens the vaporstat saves the day. Each time the boiler runs normal for a bit, then cycles off at 8oz, on at 3oz until the window is closed.  For me, 8oz is enough, you might need more, or less. 

What are you currently set to?  How often do you get there?  What is your normal operating pressure?
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    0-16 oz here

running a 0-16oz here on 4 boilers, set to about 4 cutin and 12 cutout depending on the building.  I've adjusted some up/down.  The only time I'll see pressure get above 1 psi is in the morning when building is recovering from a 3 degree setback.
This discussion has been closed.