Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

skimming new boiler

laxman
laxman Member Posts: 8
Is it possible to skim a new install in 40 minutes?

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Skimming time

That sounds short to me. The initial simmer with arm&hammer washing soda would take that long, followed by the actual skimming, for several hours.

Of course, this is something which is done by many here themselves, after the installer has done his piping, etc.

Does the water in the glass look clean?--NBC
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    yes no maybe

I would say yes it is possible to skim a boiler for 40 minutes.  Is that long enough?  Probably not.  You might as well learn how to skim it yourself.  That way it can be skimmed to your satisfaction.  Now that you have a new boiler, your new boiler is going to steam clean all the pipes in the entire house, and all that crap is going to end up in your brand new boiler.  Show us a few pictures of your new boiler and we might be able to help you with "how to"
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    edited January 2012
    40 minutes

I'm not a pro but it took me well over 20 hours to skim my boiler.  I had to do it 6 different times a few hours each.  Every time the system ran for a few weeks more oil washed down.

Many guys say cold skimming works fine but I felt the hotter the water the better it skimmed.  It seemed like when it was just below boiling is when I got the most oil out. I believe the water churns some while it is heating, but as soon as you shut the burners off it settles down and skims really nice. 

Again, I'm not a pro and have only skimmed ONE boiler in my life time and it was a learning experience.  There are many many people on here with infinitely more experience than me.  I just wanted to mention my experience as it may help.

Remember,  a clean boiler is a happy boiler!
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
This discussion has been closed.