Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Infloor radiant heating boiler recommendation

Greetings to all!

I presently have a Monitor Products MZ40C two-stage condensing boiler (142,000 BTU). My two-story house with basement is 5500 sq ft plus a heated garage. I have two uncontrolled zones (cheap bypass?) and four controlled zones. (I did not install system --- came with the house we bought, so I could not tell you tubing length or other details.) I run in a primary/secondary loop configuration. No outside temp monitoring nor are the burners modulating (the second one pretty much turns on and off).

I have learned a lot about running/fixing the system, but boiler support is difficult to come by and parts just as challenging (and expensive). I have had to resort to second sourcing in some cases.

Enough whining on my part....

At some point I will probably be forced into a replacement scenario and was curious as to potential recommendations. I see some decent buzz on Peerless (about half the price of some) but the one year warranty does not scream robustness to me. Any thoughts/comments?

Thanks!

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    edited January 2012
    aahhh....

Which model Peerless? Triangle Tube Solo is a good model. I like the Smith GC160/ Embaasy Onex.  Your heat contractor needs to reverse engineer the system to figure out what you have. There may be a fair bit of homework involved.
  • Utica Boilers

I really like the UB 95M-200, I have a bunch in with very few problems, support and parts are easy to come by with Utica, and has been for decades. A 15 year guarantee on the US made heat exchanger and 5 years on all parts demonstrates the quality of this product.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • DIYChris
    DIYChris Member Posts: 9
    Peerless boiler

I was looking at a Peerless PF-140, primarily as it appeared to match the BTU output of my current unit and is for residential use.
  • DIYChris
    DIYChris Member Posts: 9
    Lochinar option

Forgot to mention that my local plumbing and heating guy --- ironically the estranged brother of the guy who built my home (some history there, and probably not would not use the original builder/brother) --- likes Lochinar but the price was about 2X, if I remember correctly. Then again, sometimes you get what you pay for....
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    The Question is which exchanger

Keep in mind that most of the condensing boilers on the market are using the same heat exchanger. This horizontal coil type is the same one that came out originally in the munchkin. These are reasonably good although they require significant pumping and some maintenance. If you are looking at one of these (peerless,munchkin,lokinar ect) I think you pick the company you like best and go for it. Buderus and a few other companies are making aluminum exchangers. These are a nightmare if you have potential for oxygen(non o2 barrier tubing)  in the system, but are otherwise solid boilers. I think it is hard to beat the Triangle tube prestige they have a solid,proven stainless exchanger and excellent support.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Fire tube HX

Are low pressure drop. Dunkirk, TT, and Knight all have this design.

Gordy
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    fire tube HX

And once you've installed a few I seriously doubt you'll recommend anything else.
  • TMorg
    TMorg Member Posts: 23
    Peerless PF-140

For not much money you can extend the 1st year parts and labor to 10 year parts and labor. All parts covered and labor. That's confidence.
  • Zman
    Firetube HX

I just got back from AHR. There have been been some interesting developments with exchangers. The company that used to make Triangle tubes exchangers is now selling it to other companies. This is why we are seeing so many new firetubes. Triangle tube has switched suppliers and now has a firetube similar to the old model but with better stainless, welds, and more even heat transfer. They are also making an 80# 399 and plan to make bigger boilers.The new trimax controller is unbelievable. The good news is that triangle tube got even better, if you want to spend the money. And many other companies now have a very nice firetube.
    Albert Einstein
  • Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    edited January 2012
    I thought the "old" TT heat exchanger was 439...

According to some, it doesn't get better than that. :-)

Edit: checked it out, it's still 439. It looks that, for the most part, the controller is the biggest change... turn-down is still only 4:1. Mind you, the controller was probably the biggest relative disadvantage the boiler had; most of it was very solid to begin with.
  • Zman
    Only the inner part was 439

Only the inner part was 439. Now the whole thing is.I spent quite a bit of time talking with the engineer. The new control is super user friendly and visual. It will control 4 pumps and 2 different heating curves.It will also cascade multiple boilers automatically. I believe they have made great improvements on the best boiler on the market.
    Albert Einstein
This discussion has been closed.