Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I did, yes I did...

My radiator spud bushing union thingy was stripped and my the old radiator valve was leaking...

I am sure you all know where this is headed

Had to sawszall the old valve off

Which means I needed to get the old bushing spud thing out of the 80 y/o radiator

Just for fun I thought I would throw the spud wrench in there....what do u know...It strips the bushing...BIG surprise

So my sawszall was taking too long to cut the bushing so I switched blades

Well the new blade cut fine

<strong>AND I CUT THROUGH THE RADIATOR BUSHING THREADS</strong>

Yes, and I put the bushing in and connected it all up...and it is leaking.

So based on my picture what r my options?

Don't tell me I have to tap out a bigger hole and put a larger bushing in...please no

Comments

• STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,951
    teflon/rtv

Try teflon(blue is better) and high temp silicone caulk on the male threads of the bushing.Also try to fill the notch that you cut with the high temp caulk before you put in bushing.Good luck
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    JB Weld?

You could add some JB Weld on the threads.  But it ain't ever coming out again.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    I can't help with a fix

but I might help in the future.

When we did my steam mains we cut the pipes off around an inch away from a fitting.  We then used a chisel and a hammer to fold the pipe in on it self by pounding in one area with the chisel which pulled it away from the threads in the fitting.  We did this on two different mains and it worked great both times.  It may be more work but there is no risk of cutting threads.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    I'd bore and tap it on general principle.

With a bushing on there you'll at least have something you know you can get ahold of and unscrew the next time, and if you can't get the spud out of the bushing, oh well. You're only out a bushing (and a radiator spud, but they're not reusable anyway).

I don't know who ever fantasized that you'd be able to take a brass fitting out, when it's threaded in as tight as it will go and has the threads sealed with pipe joint compound, by pushing against those two little bumps, which are partially corroded, with a tool that doesn't even engage them efficiently.

To me a spud wrench is just for installing radiator spuds. I take them out by clipping the retaining ring and grabbing the end of the spud with a pipe wrench.

Next time take your sawzall to the retaining ring. Then you'll have something you can get a wrench on.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • MJ_in_centralPA
    MJ_in_centralPA Member Posts: 20
    thanks

Thanks guys for your ideas....I will attempt the silicone and tape method first

The spud wrench from HD wasn't even able to tighten the new spud

By the way...if I put jb weld on it ill never b able to get the spud bashing out?

Not even sawszall and pound it out?
  • JasonA
    JasonA Member Posts: 17
    Works every time

I have used this technique many times. Time consuming but it works
    Jason
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    sawzall

What you could do is carefully put some JB Weld only at the cut. Then use a tap to clean out the threads a bit.  

I use a sawzall too.  Just stop short of the fitting.  You don't need to cut the fitting all the way through.  Just enough to weaken it so when you hit it with a chisel, it breaks off at that point.  Kind of the same strategy as cutting glass.  Here's some pics of a recent sazwall job I had to do.

http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/139477/Location-of-main-vent#p1252588
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    Cleaning before assembly

Make sure you clean and dry the threads and saw cut notches well before applying the silicone RTV. Use a wire brush and then clean with a rag and isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. Dry the surfaces well with a heat gun or hair dryer, as the silicone won't bond to a damp surface.

If done properly the repair should last many years
  • steampunk_2
    steampunk_2 Member Posts: 28
    we've all done it

just relax.  use a couple wraps of wicking on the male threads & you'll be fine.
This discussion has been closed.