Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

power loss

Paul_69
Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
thx tim and furnace fighter tim i didnt get model # of board. but from what furnace fighter said about losing voltage when i put load of transformer on board makes alot of sense. i was suspicous of door switch but not toggle switch. i know i had 120 volts off board going to transformer but when i hooked it up it measured nothing. i then took off wires immiadetly and measured volts 120 again.but it now has run 24 hours in cold weather and has not acted up.but if it happens again you would suggest testing both switches while it is live i take it. but could there be other things on circuit going from furnace to circuit breaker that could do the same thing?is it wrong of me to have them have a electrician test circuit b4 i replace board or anything else? this has been hard to put my hands on because it ran for 2 days one time.i had very weird things going on electricaly that was stumping my troubleshooting. i have never seen it b4. usually just normal failures that you can put your hands on not this on again off again problem.

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    It would be worth it

to have an electrician check it out while you are at it change the switch at the furnace, that is a cheap thing and may be your problem.

I do not feel anything is wrong with the board based on what you are telling us you found.

By the way don't start new postings when you are dealing with the same problem as you may lose us. We tag the postings to alert us on our e-mail account so we can keep up with your problem.
  • furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    If you

Are unsure, or feel in over your head, or uncomfortable in any way, then by all means call in for support.

There is no shame in learning something from someone else.

It is also possible that you do in fact have a neutral problem.

One simple test is to measure between neutral in the furnace, and ground. There should be no voltage. There should also be continuity between neutral and ground.

Remember, for current to flow, we need 3 things:

1) Source of power ( circuit breaker or fuse panel )

2) Path (wires to and from panel and switches) neutral and hot for 120v circuits

3) load ( motors, transformers, lights, etc..)

AC current is a 2 way operation, not a 1 way operation.
  • Paul_69
    Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
    powerloss

thanks to tim and furnacefighter for your patience and advice. electrical intermittent problems can be fun for sure. i will put your advice in my hard drive. i know we are always learning and get problems we have never seen before.and i am not ashamed to ask what i dont know. but what i do know is not to replace boards or components if i cant prove them bad!! better to come back and maybe get more clues than waste peoples money.
This discussion has been closed.