Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cast iron radiators

OhioRuss
OhioRuss Member Posts: 29
i want to put cast iron radiators in the upstairs of an old house with a narrow curved stairway. Any tips on how to get them up there? I was thinking flipping them on their side and using a furniture dolly. Or should I take them apart and put them back together where I want to use them? Thanks for any insight.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Strong Backs, Weak Minds

Don't take them apart! You would have to replace the push nipples if you did that.

Depending on the size, you could use a power hand truck or just get enough man power.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Paulee
    Paulee Member Posts: 1
    cast iron rads

I'm assuming that you may be somwhere on the east coast. Hearing that you need to get these rads up a spiral staircase could actually be deadly because of the combined weight of the rad plus maybe 3 to 4 guys at around 200 lbs a piece, well...do the math. I would find a 2nd floor window large enough and remove it and then have the rads boomed in, The cost of the lift is far less expensive then having people injured or killed, not to mention the property damage. Taking the rads apart is probably not a great option because the assembly tools and push nipples are either very rare or non existent at this stage in time. I live in the Phila. area of PA and have been dealing with these rads for over 30 years. You just need to be smarter than they are.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    boom boom.....pow..lol

Yeah I'm in the same area as Paulee, and boomin is the way to go.  Try calling a roofing supplier (like most, they're slowwwww), with a boom truck.  Have them (or ask them to bring) a few wood pallets.  A few hundred bucks, you get to save some backs, some destruction, and your friends will thank you.
    steve
This discussion has been closed.