Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Superstor with carcked shell

Has anyone seen this happen to a Superstor?  It looks like a layer of cardboard under the shell and the owner is concerned about the fire danger.
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Yes

Have seen it before. Is there a thermal expansion tank for the domestic? Once there is a slight crack in the plastic jacket, it takes right off. Either there is a leak behind the insulation, or the tank is flexing a bit. There is no fire danger that i can fathom
  • Jr_12
    Jr_12 Member Posts: 38
    No issue

If I remember right the "hole" problem...pun intended was from when the press they used to cut the holes out got dull. It would not make a clean cut and would split from the expansion of the tank. It's just cosmetic and does not pose a danger to anything.
  • bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    Here's an idea

Assuming that strap had nothing to do with it, how about sending that picture to HTP and see what they have to say?
  • chuck172
    chuck172 Member Posts: 90
    Same here

My superstor casing is cracked and the crack has been growing.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    alot

I have a bunch of those...looks terrible...
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    edited December 2011
    I have yet to see one that DIDN'T split....

I think it has to do with either PVC contraction, or the foam expanding. The tank vessel is not compromised.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    I've got to ask...

Have you contacted the manufacturer and asked for a replacement? This is obviously a design/manufacturing flaw. I would be more than hesitant to use the product.
  • Manufacturer

I spoke to HTP technical support this morning who said we can go to our wholesaler and request an insulating jacket from them or we can use a store-bought jacket and send our rep. the bill, up to $100.  The insulating jacket would be placed over the vinyl jacket.  He said the cause of the tearing is from internal expansion over time, the pressure causing the vinyl covering to fail.

I'm just replacing a Superstor on another job.  It started leaking after a few years and the owner decided to replace it with a Vitocell H-300.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    Normal

Half of them crack, And they still make them the same way ... Stainless weld leaks , well leaks We build for the short buck in this country , sorry to say ...
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
This discussion has been closed.