Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

breaking loose steam traps

Options
rk123
rk123 Member Posts: 1
we are on a job had pipe heated to orange glow 2 guys with 2 pipe wrenches we can not break lose the fittings, please help I figured 2 guys 6 hours each, we are 4 hours into the first one

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Use an Impact Wrench

Hi- I've had the best luck using an impact wrench. I have an pneumatic wrench but you can also get them electric, either battery or cord. Home Depot has pneumatic, cordless and cord.

- Rod
  • MotownSteamer
    MotownSteamer Member Posts: 110
    Options
    I was not able

to get my caps off. I don't think they were ever serviced (88 years). When I removed them from the radiator and pipe, I put them in a vise. Using a cheater bar and pipe wrench, I finally got the caps off, but egged the fitting.

If they are that bad replace the whole shooting match.
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Options
    Heat & candle

While using heat on the fittings stick a candle into the thread, it will suck it in to lubricate the threads, if you don't have a candle use a Wax ring, works just about all the time
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Impact

Impact is your best option. If you don't have an impact wrench or air hammer you can do it the old-fashioned way with a hammer and cold chisel. If the fittings are malleable you can notch them and then drive them at a tangent from every possible angle to try to unscrew them. If they're hard cast you can usually break them with a big enough hammer.

Heat is only helpful if you can heat the fitting faster than the pipe, or heat both and rapidly cool the pipe so it contracts and fractures the hardened pipe joint compound that's locking the threads. You can sometimes loosen them up just by persistently beating the fittings with a hammer, but if you only hit it in one or two places you can deform it, making it harder to turn even if the threads break loose
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Try to tighten them first

After heating and waxing tighten them just a bit then loosen them.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Try to tighten them first

After heating and waxing tighten them just a bit then loosen them.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.