Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Measure Normal water level from where?

malex
malex Member Posts: 106
I have a Peerless EC and I started trying to figure out where the normal waterline should be in the glass gauge. On the web FAQ peerless states that the NWL for the EC/ECT range is 32 1/4 inches. Is this from the floor or from the bottom of the boiler? This boiler sits on 4 inch bricks.

The middle of the glass measures 35 1/2 and is where I've had the water level and the LWCO is mounted so that it will cut off at 33 inches from the floor. So obviously I cant keep the water level 32 1/4 inches off the floor. But if I measure 32 1/4 inches from the bottom of the boiler then the water level would be towards the top of the glass. I was trying to lower the water level as I read it can contribute to wet steam but these measurements don't add up to me. Any thoughts on where I should keep the water level?

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    The "Question"

You answered your own question. The measurement is 32 1/4" from the floor to the water line. If the boiler is installed on a concrete "floor", the measurement is 32 1/4" from the floor. If you put the boiler on a "floor" of 4" solid blocks, the "floor becomes the top of the 4" solid blocks. If the blocks don't stick past the boiler jacket, and you measure to the "true floor", and you measure from there, add the thickness of the blocks to the measurement. Usually 3 1/2".  Or, the measurement is from the bottom of the cast feet on the boiler.

Doing it that way involves getting on the floor and looking at where to measure from. That makes my aged head hurt. 
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Manual

If you look at fig. 7.1 in the IOM (http://www.peerlessboilers.com/DesktopModules/Bring2mind/DMX/Download.aspx?EntryId=87&PortalId=0&DownloadMethod=attachment), you'll see that vertical measurements are from the bottom of the "feet."
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Headaches should be reserved for hangovers :)

If the boiler overhangs the slab, just slide a metal ruler through under the boiler and hook your tape measure to the ruler.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • malex
    malex Member Posts: 106
    Overlooked 7.1

Thanks Hap, I missed that disected view last night when I was looking for the meassurement. And thanks Hap for pushing your brain to the point of injury on this one.
This discussion has been closed.