Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiant ceiling or wall ???

Tom G.
Tom G. Member Posts: 4
Need to add heat to basement and wanted opinion of radiant ceiling verses wall...

I can easily go either ceiling or wall - floor is out.  However, the basement ceiling is very low - only about 6.5' - and concerned radiant ceiling might be too low/close for comfort and wall might be better option.  Any concerns/opinions about a radiant ceiling this low ?  Thanks.  Tom

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Ceiling vs wall

In my opinion I would think at 6'6" a radiant ceiling would be to low for comfort. Unless the basement is really low load, and average water temps were just a few degrees above room set point. If floor build up for RFH is out then Ceiling would be too because you would lose some head room. Radiant walls will work, but you have to think about how furniture, and other things may block its output. Also have to think about sharpies penetrating the wall to hang things.

Gordy
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Have you considered panel radiators.

As Gordy said, 6'6" would be way to close for comfort on the radiant ceiling. I only like to do radiant walls in bathroom walls covered in tile for the reason Gordy stated.

Panel radiators would give a similar effect and could be placed in the room respective to furniture. I would pursue this option and see where it leads. Look at Radson, Runtal, Myson, and Buderus panel radiators. Sizes can be selected to use low water temperature if that is what you are looking for.

Good Luck
  • Tom G.
    Tom G. Member Posts: 4
    thanks. suspended tube in wall ?

Thanks for comments.  You're confirming my concern over ceiling.  FYI, ceiling would not be built down as there is already to little head room, but instead would be recessed into joist bay.  The load is fairly low but don't have my heat loss calcs in front of me.  I do have a broad wall available and am giving thought to pex loops in the upper half of the wall - possibly recess/suspend the loops about about an inch behind drywall with airgap and then appropriate insulation behind (similar to a suspended tube floor system).  I currently have a mid-temp (100-135F reset) underfloor for the 1st floor and thinking I could use same temp for recessed/suspended loops it walls.  Does the recessed/suspend wall loop idea sound reasonable for a low output warm wall ?  FYI, this is a semi-finished basement workshop area so nothing fancy - am hoping to stay away from panels although i do have some old cast iron hot water radiators i could recycle back into low temp radiant service - but would like to stay away from open dust collectors if possible.  Thanks.  Tom
  • Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    That doesn't seem like it should work...

...for the same reason that it works in floors, and doesn't work in ceilings: it relies on natural convection of buoyant hot air to keep air circulating past the tube. You would want the tube at the bottom of the cavity and whatever is being heated at the top. Stick with lightweight aluminum transfer plates and good contact with wall surface.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    wall heat temps

Read up a bit on wall heat before you leap.  Watts Radiant has a couple pages in their PEX manual that are worth reading.  Fluid temps over 120F are not recommended with drywall sheathing.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Drywall temps

In a radiant application you should not need supply temps above 120*. Much lower preferably. Unless you are talking suspended tube, or staple up. Poorly designed over the top, and embedded can fall into that scenerio also as in under radiated for the heat loss.
This discussion has been closed.