Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sales Associate - Taco 595 thermostatic bypass valve

TimK
TimK Member Posts: 5
Anyone have any suggestions on repiping or replacing a Taco 595 thermostatic bypass valve?

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    What do you need to know?

What's the problem? Why do you need to re-pipe it and what is the current valve doing now?
  • TimK
    Taco 595

Element is sticking
  • icesailor
    edited December 2011
    Sticking:

A quick romp around the Web finds that that valve may not be made anymore and was problematic. There are better ways to do what you are probably doing,

Are you using it to control potable hot water or using it as a hot water extender?

Take the cartridge out and soak it in white vinegar. Then, carefully clean the scuz out of the barrel where the cartridge slides.

Or replace the valve.
  • TimK
    Taco 595

The valve is used as a hot water boiler bypass with a thermostatic element that begins to open at 150 and is open fully at 180, diverting hot water directly into return and ensuring some degree of protection from thermal shock.  I can see how it can be re-piped with ball valves and or 3 way diverting/mixing valve.  I wanted to stay away from temperature modulating valves.  I just did not know if someone had more experience with these devices.
  • icesailor
    edited December 2011
    Mixing/Low temp Water:

I don't know what you are trying to do but if it is an oil boiler, 140 minimum boiler temp will stop condensation. If gas, 120 or higher.

I put a Taco "I" series 4-way mixer on a system. You won't get any shock with that and the valve controls all the operations itself. And you can use outdoor re-set and still protect the boiler from thermal shock.

What is so unusual about this system that thermal shock is an issue?
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 704
    595-1 by-pass valve

I did some research on the replacement thermostatic assembly we offered for this valve. We stopped offering the element back in 2005.  For your reference I attached a piping schematic showing the 595 installed as a by-pass.  The objective was to keep the boiler hot minimizing thermal shock, and condensate.  It was originally engineered for Burnham Boilers back in 1982. The Element, procured from The Dole Valve co, of Illinois part number BN-28235-1 was a purchased item we used in our 595-1 valve.  

To facilitate the piping I suggest pulling out the element throwing it away, and put the cap back on.  Install a ball valve, or gate valve in the by-pass line running from the return line back into the boiler.  You can throttle the flow using the throttling valve to redirect some hotter water back into the boiler.  It will obviously be a manual flow control, as opposed to the thermostatically control flow.  Hopefully this helps.  If you have additional questions or concerns give me a call. 
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    edited November 2018
    @Joe Mattiello do you still have these PDFs? Thanks!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    Steve Thompson (Taco)
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    edited November 2018
    Thanks, @Dave H!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • jamesloase
    jamesloase Member Posts: 1
    Thank you both very much for your help!!
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 550
    @jamesloase Are you replacing or do you have one installed?

I ask for two reasons, one to help - please don't hesitate to contact me and
    Reason 2, if it is coming out, please let me know. I am trying to build my own "museum" at the training room at Taco and I don't have one of those.

Thanks and Enjoy

Dave H.
    Dave H
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • dbsoccer
    dbsoccer Member Posts: 34
    TimK started this thread 10 years ago. I found the thread when trying to solve the same problem he had. I discovered, with the help of an industry expert, who works for probably a competitor, that Danfoss makes a thermic bypass valve that looks like it could easily be adapted to replace the 595.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Danfoss-193B1701-ESBE-Series-1-1-4-3-Way-Thermic-Valve-Body-Only?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIruWBue3w7gIV0FPVCh22swjWEAQYASABEgL6EvD_BwE
  • bucksnort
    bucksnort Member Posts: 167
    If i wasn't going to junk my boiler with this valve I would pop it open and inspect the valve . hopefully I can get thru the heating season without it locking up on me. Mine must be sticking as I get a sudden surge of hot water and then a few minutes cool water and it repeats. No use ripping into it now as no parts are available anyways to fix it. There is no mention of servicing this in my boiler manual.