Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot water baseboard off bottom steam heat boiler

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, I have a Burhman steam boiler that I would like to add some hot water baseboards in the basement level. I believe it can be done. I have the baseboards installed, purchased a thermostat and a circulating pump, and a taco relay.

My questions is there schematic somewhere in cyber space I can see the piping hook up to the boiler? I already know how to hook up the relay, pump and TT.

Thanks to all.

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Hot Water Zone off a Steam Boiler.

Hi Tony - Attached is a description of how it is done.

- Rod
  • Tony_28
    Tony_28 Member Posts: 15
    Steam Heat/Baseboard

Thanks Rod, have you done it before?
  • Rod
    HW Baseboard off Steam Boiler

Hi Tony- Yes I have, but as a homeowner, I don't have much experience with this type of setup so don't I feel that I can help with specific recommendations if that is what you are asking.  What I have learned is that if you go above the basement level  it is probably better to use a a heat exchanger despite what they say is feasible in the pdf I attached.

- Rod
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,199
    All the time

We do these all the time, but mostly to heat basements.  Just finished adding one to a Burnham IN4. 

We've found that the bypass isn't necessary if you are using a gas boiler (with room below the base) and you drop both the supply and return pipes down at least a foot from the boiler tapping before turning horizontal.   

The circulator goes on the supply side, of course.  We use bronze or stainless circulators.  They seem to hold up better.   And we only need one flo-check valve.  Maybe don't even need that.

Put isolation valves on the loop so you can troubleshoot the system if it should suddenly start losing water.
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Circ

Ed, what brand of circulators do you prefer for this kind of install, Taco Bronze/stainless (wet rotor "00" series) or something like a B&G 100 Bronze? thanks
  • Tony_28
    Steam Heat/Baseboard

Thanks Rod.

Hey Ed, that's the same boiler I have, I will try to upload a picture in a few. Can you help me with this? I think I know where to connect the pump from, does the water coming back get connected to the steam heat water return Hartford loop? If you have some photos I would gladly appreciate it.

Thanks,
  • Rod
    Condensate Heating

Tony- Here is an article by Dan on condensate heating which might be of help.

- Rod

http://www.heatinghelp.com/article/330/Condensate-Hot-Water-Heating/76/Condensate-Hot-Water-Heating-FAQ
  • Tony_28
    edited November 2011
    Steam Heat/ Baseboard

Ed,

Here is a picture of my boiler. Yes, it's just to heat the basement level.

Thanks
  • Tony_28
    Steam Heat/ Baseboard Heat

I believe this is where I will connect my circulating pump to, I will remove the plug and connect pump to this. The water return will go connected to the hartford loop?
  • Tony_28
    Steam Heat/ Baseboard

Where would I put the isolation valves and the flo check valve at? Thanks a mill, I feel with your help my son will get heat in the basement this winter!
  • Long Beach Ed
    Hot Water Loop

We connect the loop to the tappings provided for the Alliance hot water heater.   They are 1 - 1/4" and properly located for good circulation through the boiler.  If your boiler isn't new, it may be impossible to get the plugs out of these fittings and you may have to settle for a less ideal alternative. 

Piping from the boiler to the pump ideally should not be less than 1".   After the pump you can reduce it to 3/4" or 1/2" as needed.

I would avoid pumping into the Hartford loop to prevent blowing water up the equalizer or raising the level in the returns.   We have seen installations where this has been done, however, with no problems.  

The rest of your questions are well covered in the article that's linked above. 

The selection of pump depends on the flow needed for the heating loop.  Just avoid cast iron impellers as the condensate tends to cause problems with these. 

Specifically, we've encountered several problems over the years with these. 

When we used iron Series 100 circulators they seized over the summer months.   When we failed to drop down from the boiler, we got cavitation and hammering in the pipes.  When we failed to provide drain cocks on the loop we were unable to purge air and had pump problems. 

Good luck with your project.  If you can't use the Alliance tappings, you may be in for a bit of trial and error. 
  • Tony_28
    Loop back connection

" We connect the loop to the tappings provided for the Alliance hot water heater"

Thanks Ed, I just have to figure out where my tappings are on my boiler?

• Long Beach Ed
    Look

Look in the Independence boiler's manual.  It shows all the tappings, and is available, of course, on Burnham's Web site.  
  • Tony_28
    Hot water loop

Hi Ed,

Would it be to much to ask for a pic of one of your installs with steam boiler to baseboard hook ups? I'm new to this and would like to get it done right the first time.

Thanks, I would really appreciate it.
  • Tony_28
    Picture Water pump hook up to bottom of steam boiler

Can someone help me with this? I am looking for a picture with a water circulating pump connected to a steam boiler for basement heat. If someone can post a pic of an install, I will gladly appreciate it. Just want to get a basic idea on the hook up.

Thanks so much.  
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Hot water loop

Go to gwgillplumbingandheating.com. Look under "hot water heating", then click on "Hot water system off a steam boiler". I have a hot water loop of my IN-4. The plumber that did mine used the taps on my boiler that are for the Alliance hot water heater. I used the heat exchanger also. The diagram that is on this web site is very good. Getting the plugs out of the boiler won't be easy. If your not completely sure on how to do this hire a pro.
  • Rod
    edited November 2011
    Pictures

Tony- Here's a link to some discussion and pictures of an installation of Steamhead's that might be of help to you.

http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/136109/baseboard-loop-off-steam-boiler

- Rod
  • Tony_28
    Thanks

Thanks Mark N and Rod. 

The reason I am asking is I asked my boiler installer how I can do the basement connections of my baseboard to the boiler.  He said he left the connections on the tee with a plug on it for the circulating pump, he said the return gets connected to the water return tee where the drain valve is located. Look at the pictures I posted earlier, it shows both tees.  The boiler was installed 01/09/09.

Any inputs are welcome.

Thanks,

• Mark N
    Mud Leg

Tony

That tee on the boiler drain and the hartford loop tie into the mud leg of the boiler. You can't use the connection for your hot water loop. The water will short circuit through the mud leg and not pick up enough heat to heat your baseboard. Use the tapping that are in the boiler block for the Alliance. They have plugs in them now. The plugs need to be removed. There are knock outs in the boiler jacket for these tappings. You need to remove the jacket from the boiler. Go to www.usboiler.net and get the installation manual for the Independance. On pg.6 of the manual these tappings are labled M and N.
  • Tony_28
    Supply/Return

Thanks Mark N, I downloaded the manuals. I would look into this, I just don't know why he is telling me to tap into the boiler drain when it will not work.

How hard is it to remove these plugs, boiler is only a year old. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again, now I am beginning to see this the way it should be done. Any tool tips on how to get the plugs out? I see the cut outs on the cabinet, just want to make sure I pop out the right ones.

Thanks,
  • Mark N
    Don't Know

I don't know why he is telling you to do it that way. Maybe he doesn't know how to do it properly. As for the plugs, don't know I paid someone to do it. Also your boiler is nearly 3 years old, you state it was installed on 1/9/09. Have you read the article that Rod referred you to? The diagrams in that article are very good. As I said before if your not sure how to do this hire a pro that knows how to do it.
  • Tony_28
    Supply/Return

Sorry 2 years old, installed 01/09/10. I had marked it on the inside of the boiler cabinet. Anyone on this site work in Brooklyn area?
This discussion has been closed.