Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

gurgling sound in hot water system

ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
A friend has a forced hot water system using a fairly new WM boiler and he recently noticed a gurgling sound, or a sound as if there is air in the system for 10-20 seconds after the pump turns on.  It sounds like water pouring.

The system seems to heat well and he has tried bleeding radiators several times and has not been able to get any water out of the system.

Any ideas?  I'm a steam guy my self and have never worked on a hot water system.
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    You're a rarity...

Most people have lots of experience with hot water, but none with steam :-)

Just guessing that your friends pump is on the return, pumping towards the expansion tank connection, which causes air in suspension to ballon when it sees negative pressures produced by the pump.

Got pictures?

Welcome to The Wall.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • ChrisJ
    return

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the response.  He says the pump is on the return but he is not sure where the expansion tank is.  He is going to get me a picture tonight when he goes home.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    system pressure

Is at or near Zero

The system pressure should be at approx. 12 PSI.

No water from air vents on radiators means not enough water pressure in system to raise the water to that level.
  • ChrisJ
    Ooops

I meant to say he isn't getting any air when he bleeds the radiators. He gets plenty of water and I'm sure the system is at 12 PSI.
This discussion has been closed.