Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

set up electronic ignition steam system on generator

Has anyone done this? I assume you'd need the boiler on a removable plug rather than hardwired. Any other considerations?

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Generator question

Is this a free-watt cogeration system? I don't see how it can produce steam. These units are designed to produce hot water for heating and electricity.--NBC
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Running a Electronic Igniton with an Emergency Generator

NBC- Great minds think alike! That was my first thought too! I think

what the question is : How do you hook emergency generator power so that

you can run an electronic ignition system in case of a power failure.

- Rod
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    generator hook-up

rod thank you for including me in the "inner circle" of great minds!

the grounding seems to be most important in the electrical supply to the boiler. i don't know if a separate ground rod and waterpipe connection would be needed for the generator or not.--nbc
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    edited October 2011
    plug

A better option would be to get a transfer box and run the wire to a set transfer box outside. They are inexpensive and simple to install. You could also add an appliance or two this way and the box will tell you how much electricity you are drawing..

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202213700/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

btw, make sure your generator is run outside and kept away from opening's into the building so you do not have an issue with carbon monoxide...
  • Terry in NJ
    Terry in NJ Member Posts: 36
    yes, Rod has it - a temporary portable generator

There are lots of outages locally but we still have power. If we lost it, I was looking for the best set up to be able to use a small portable generator located outside to at least run the heating system.

It appears there is ignition, damper and the thermostat that use power. Are these usually wired to the same circuit?. It seems you would want the connection down circuit from the emergency off switch.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    boiler backup power

how long is the typical outage?

if they are short, a big ups, battery backup may keep the boiler on for a few hours, since you seem not to have a pump.--nbc
  • Terry in NJ
    ups idea

That is a great idea too. I didn't know anything about how much the controls draw, etc.

That is correct, no pump on my steam system.
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Emergency Generator Hookup

Hi Terry- Why don't you post your question over in the Gas Heating section of this board.

Tim McElwain is over there and he has many years experience with gas heating  and controls. (He teaches and writes books on it!)   I'm sure he'd be able to answer your question.

Hooking a generator itself up is fairly simple.  I'm just not sure what problems might be encountered with generator and it's compatibility with electronics as during operation.as generators can vary in voltage and hertz and this could affect the electronics.  Tim would know all about this.

- Rod
  • Terry in NJ
    thanks I'll do that

As I mentioned, this is still just a concept for me, unfortunately it is a reality for many not that far away.
This discussion has been closed.