Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam heat help radiator valve leaking A LOT

katg
katg Member Posts: 4
I have steam heat.  One of my radiators is leaking widly from the valve.  I've turned off everything!  Still been leaking for 6hours.  Can't get to the plumber until the morning.  I thought the water would leak out and that would be the end of it until I could get someone here.  It's been hours..and gallons!  I fill a 10 oz glass every 7 minutes.  help

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Big leak

Have you access to the boiler?

I suspect the auto/overfill system is constantly filling the system with water. There should be a valve to shut off the flow of water into the boiler. Turning off the power to the boiler should also prevent the valve from feeding the boiler. Let us know of any other observations.--NBC
  • katg
    checking

checking be back!
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Had the same problem

In a different life.

There may be a circuit breaker which will kill the power to the boiler and auto/over-fill.--nbc
  • katg
    all turned off

all turned off both by power.  Still leaking...I will wait a while longer..putting down mucho towels..will check in a few hours...so nervous!
  • katg
    ok

ok tks!
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    edited October 2011
    Valve

Now that you have turned off the power, were you able to find a water valve to turn off?--nbc
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Leaking dhow or auto-fill

Can you turn off the water for the whole house, as you may also have a hot water coil on your boiler which would not be affected by turninig off the auto fill?

If he does a lot of work on the boiler with new parts, make sure the boiler is cleaned (see skimming)__nbc
This discussion has been closed.