Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

White Smoke from Previously Flooded Oil Boiler

mlk99
mlk99 Member Posts: 1
My 1989 Peerless boiler - model #JOTTW-150SU was flooded accidentally during the summer when I was having a hot water tank replaced (the boiler was turned off). I recently made the attempt to turn the boiler back on and it is throwing off white smoke that smells of oil. I quickly turned the boiler off again. I called a technician, but can't get anyone over here until November 7th. Does anyone have any suggestions? The temps are in the 20's-30's at night here and I'm scared to death to turn the boiler on.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,276
    How much

How much of the boiler was "flooded"?  Do you mean it was overfilled?  Or was the boiler flooded -- like the firebox area and the burner etc.?  If the latter, you have major problems -- you should not turn it on without making sure all the electrics are OK, that the burner was in no way damaged, etc. -- and then making sure that any insulation or other material inside the unit wasn't damaged.  In my  humble opinion, this is no job for a homeowner, or even a good handyman -- or an accomplished building superintendent, for that matter, unless he or she is also a good boiler/burner tech.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mlk98
    mlk98 Member Posts: 1
    Water Level

I really don't know if the boiler was flooded enough to affect the firebox and burner. I siphoned off approximately 5 to 6 buckets to get the water level down to the appropriate level in the glass vial. 
  • ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    flooded boiler

from what you posted I take it that the boiler was overfilled with water and no water in fire box in that case you have 2 differant issues why cant the oil tech get there before nov7th where are you located
  • ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    flooded boiler

from what you posted I take it that the boiler was overfilled with water and no water in fire box in that case you have 2 differant issues why cant the oil tech get there before nov7th where are you located
  • moneypitfeeder
    moneypitfeeder Member Posts: 249
    where?

Where are you seeing white smoke at? If a boiler is in good condition, it can be overfilled (Rhomar recommends after you have a clean system, to add their maintenance chemical solution and fill the boiler to the top to keep the guts of the boiler from rusting) Sounds like you have a much larger problem on hand. Try to see if you can get emergency assistance.
    steam newbie
This discussion has been closed.