Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Laars Mini-Therm JVS160 short cycle

Options
Mando
Mando Member Posts: 1
<span style="font-size:12pt">Hi Guys,</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">I have a residential Laars Mini-therm model JVS160NDIS  Serial # D02JE0076.</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">I had it installed new 6 years ago.  The unit has worked flawlessly until late last winter when it will ignite, run for 15-20 seconds, shut down, ignite again, run for 15-20 seconds........ Sometimes it will ignite and rum for a complete cycle until thermostat shuts it down. Thermostat has been replaced—no change.  Flue, pump, water supply are all fine.  Unit is super clean and well ventilated.  House heats fine, gas usage is the same.  </span>Thanks for your help.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    sounds like....

the flame sensor is shot.
  • Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    Options
    check heat exchanger

the flame rod being bad or dirty the flames would go out in 3 to 5 seconds. You might get an inspection mirror and look at the heat exchanger. A lot of Laars mini therms aren't piped correctly and the heat exchanger will clog from flue condensation. This will cause problems with the burner flame and cause the flame to lift off the pilot and shut it down. I've seen problems with ignition modules that would cause a similar problem. Good luck and keep us informed.
This discussion has been closed.