Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Triangle Tube PE110 problems

Paul Pollets
Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
We commisioned a new TT PE110 3 weeks ago on a boiler replacement. Within 3 days, the unit would not make DHW and we got a soft lockout. We replaced the DHW sensor on advice of TT's tech services.The boiler worked fine for 2 weeks. This past week, an error code of EO2 kept occuring and restarting the machine didn't fix it. It turns out that the ignition module on this unit was changed by Honeywell, without telling TT.

TT is shipping the new replacement module, which will have a green dot sticker on the part. Of course, the part was not available at the local rep, and the wholesaler was not aware of the problem.

They will also provide a $150. labor reimbursement. They should notify their dealers, reps and contractors of the problem.

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    edited October 2011
    Update

Now I found out that the $150. "labor reimbursement" is a $200. credit to be applied to any Honeywell control purchase. What a Mickey Mouse company. I wouldn't be surprised if they charge shipping for the warranty part replacement.

I was told that there are at least 1000 of the faulty ignition modules that were installed, so I won't be the only one with this problem.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    This I got from local TT Rep

Honeywell made a rolling change and put a new ignition coil in the control. The new coil put out too much spark-more than the ignition cable can handle. They have since gone back to the good coil, but there are still some of the poor ones out there. As a rule, if you can hear the arc, and the ignitor is good, a replacement MCBA Control is in order. Honeywell gives $200 vouchers for the labor.

Obviously  not all E02 are not attributable to this-always check the usual suspects.
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    I noticed this same isue

I noticed this same isue with one that I installed. I found that the ignition wire was installed too close to the side of the heat exchanger. I moved the wire further away and the arc noise stoped and no more problems.
  • Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    Re:Triangle Tube PE110 problems

Thank you Paul for having posted this and thank you Dan for providing the site that brings the industry together.

A few days ago I was on the phone with one of our installers walking him through the trouble shooting procedures for this boiler. He was experiencing the trouble you described above. Half way through our discussion I remembered reading your post and I had saved it as a word document for future reference. Sure enough when we contacted our rep and gave him the serial number he confirmed that this was one of the units affected by this issue. We quickly got the ball rolling had a new control shipped over night and all is well.

It’s your post that saved me a lot of time and energy. Again thank you.
    Your friend in the industry,

Alan R. Mercurio

www.oiltechtalk.com
  • AFred
    AFred Member Posts: 81
    Numbers?

Anyone know what serieal numbers are affected, or possible mfg dates?

-Andrew
  • Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    MCBA Announcement

Please see attached file.
    Your friend in the industry,

Alan R. Mercurio

www.oiltechtalk.com
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Huh?

They know there is an an issue and instead of notifying wholesalers and replacing these bad MCBA with new ones before sale,they sell the boilers as is to unsuspecting contractors who then sell them to unsuspecting homeowners and both have to be subjected to this? And of course this will happen over a 3 or 4 day holiday weekend when the manufacturers and wholesalers are enjoying time with their families while the afflicted contractors/homeowners wait until Monday for parts/support!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    First Time

I've seen this announcement. Surprised this wasn't e-mailed to me back when it was released by our reps. Don't blame Triangle not there job to notify me. Rob is right, should have been changed before they went out on the street or atleast given wholesalers the replacment boards for their effected instock units so contractors could have changed them in the field prior to startup.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Paul Pollets
    Real Time

By the time the system is fixed and the board replaced there are 4-6 hours of time involved in service calls, diagnostics and the fix. All for a $200. rebate on Honeywell controls. What a joke!! TT could have made this a lot easier and offered a reasonable labor reimbursement.
This discussion has been closed.