Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

condensing furnace in attic

Paul_69
Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
can you install a condensing furnace in cold weather climate .

Comments

• Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    no recommended

Not sure which post to answer but I would not recommend it as service guy living in Colorado. I've been to many a no heat in the middle of the night during a deep freeze with the condensate trap frozen solid. You could use heat tape but thats another set of problems; fires, power outages making it useless, tape failure. My .02
  • Paul_69
    Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
    dog house

how about building a insulated structure around furnace, well sealed with removable door for service.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    RE

Sounds sketchy. Can you insulate the attic, and condition it with the furnace?
  • Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    I wouldn't

Thats a lot of work, building a structure around it in an attic to pick up a little efficiency. Typically furnaces in attics are in large homes and only heat the upper floor with another unit in the basement doing the main level and basement.  Upper floor furnaces don't run as often as the lower floor since most of the heat rises.  So the payback with a higher cost of the 90%er and the extra work would take  a long time. A 80% furnace with 2 stage gas train and a variable speed blower is a darn good option.
This discussion has been closed.