Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas pressure

trackflg
trackflg Member Posts: 20
Hello

My gas meter regulator is set to 5wc, when i run all my appliances gas log, dryer, boiler, stove all at once the pressure at the boiler upstream pressure tap drops down to 4wc, min supply pressure mfg spec is 5wc max 14wc. I adjusted gas meter reg from 5wc to 7wc. i now have a pressure reading of 5wc at the upstream pressure tap with all appliances running and 7wc with nothing running. <strong>Anybody see a problem with this 2wc pressure</strong> <strong>increase at the meter.</strong>

Comments

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    As a general rule:

I like to keep the pressure into the house at 12"wc.  Seems like you are border line and when operating everything, you may experience blow back.  This is only my rule of thumb and I like to go with the manufacturer specs call for.  There will be a pressure drop depending on what was installed as far a pipe size goes.

Mike T.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    The fact that you have a meter

tells me you are talking about natural gas so out of the pounds to inches regulator ahead of the meter you should typically have 6" to 7". You can't get much more than that through that regulator.

A 2" pressure drop is not acceptable. In fact your pressure at the meter say 6" should not drop with all equipment running if all the outlet piping is sized correctly.

The 7" pressure with nothing running is a static pressure and that seems to be okay. The load pressure of 5" is not good as you still have a 2" pressure drop. Check your pipe sizing and load attached that is your problem.

By the way you should not be touching the gas regulator that should be handled by the gas utility only.
  • trackflg
    Gas

I am checking the pressure at the upstream pressure tap at the "boiler gas valve" when unit is running, pipe to boiler is 3/4 15ft run from 1in line 4 feet from meter. Best i could do is replace 15 feet of 3/4 with 1in reduced to 3/4 at the valve. ?????

Not that i am have problems with unit, Just checked the pressure to see what i had under load and seems to be borderline.
  • Tim McElwain
    If you have

7" at the meter or any where in the piping system and you bring on the equipment and the pressure drops that should not happen.

7" static nothing running 5" at the inlet pressure tap at the gas valve you have a pressure drop. That should be 7" static and 7" full load.

Just to be safe have the local gas company check to make sure everything is good on their end. But no matter what you have a pressure drop and that should not be.
  • trackflg
    Gas

Meter was just moved from inside to outside the house and feed from street replaced. They were doing upgrades to system in my area.

Thanks
  • Tim McElwain
    edited October 2011
    Who is your gas company?

I would be suprised they would only be giving you 5" gas pressure at the outlet of the regulator. After they moved the service did they check the equipment and give you their measured pressure readings? What size meter do you have and is it connected to a meter bar?
  • trackflg
    Itron 250 195 fh@1/2 wc

Itron 250 195 fh@1/2 wc, was not there for the install.
  • trackflg
    Gas

also connected to a meter bar.
  • Tim McElwain
    I would check to see

how many fittings in your outlet piping.

What is the total BTU of all the equipment in your house? Send me a piping plan with distances and BTU ratings and I will tell you what pipe sizes you should have. My e-mail is gastc@cox.net also how many elbow and tees in the piping system.
  • trackflg
    Thanks

Thanks
  • trackflg
    Bad regulator

Turns out it was a bad regulator on the meter, all is well.
  • Tim McElwain
    Glad to hear you

got it straightened out.
This discussion has been closed.